DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Remote or standard water pump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remote or standard water pump
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted
Is the an advantage for running a remote water pump over a standard Mounted water pump
Thanks in advance

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It a water pump, no pumping advantage one over the other. Choice is dictated by engine package/engine bay and/or personal choice. The vast majority of bracket and super comp dragster use a standard mounted water pump.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
One of my friends was having constant problems with temps spiking and air pockets using a remote water pump....

She has a typical BB S/C dragster and tried everything suggested by the pump manufacturer. I'm not sure what resolved the issue as I have not talked to her since June and she has been out racing...

A std engine mounted pump has always worked fine for me on every car I've raced......No reason to remote mount it unless space is an issue.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered if a potable water pump could be used as a remote coolant pump.

Posts: 519 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Call my bud Jerry at Meziere’s and he will help you

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have a standard on my car and a remote on my wife’s car. Her car has given us trouble getting all the air out in the past, but ever since I started using one of those coolant fill funnels that you lock on the filler neck and keep it full of water while warming it up and letting the air bubble out we’ve had no trouble.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
I have always wondered if a potable water pump could be used as a remote coolant pump.

Generally, no. The pump needs to be able to survive the higher temps created by the cooling system. Majority of potable water, sump pumps, bilge pumps etc are designed to run under 130F water temp.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1351 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I ran the Hypro Aqua Tiger remote pump for years on my car. I still have it in the trailer for a spare. It worked just fine. I thought it wasn't pumping and changed it out for a Dedenbear remote pump. Turns out you have to make sure there is enough water in the cooling system for them to pump.

The Hypro pumps 19 gpm and the Dedenbear 23 but I never had any troubles with either pump as long as there was water in the system. LOL

The Hypro is 245 bucks on Amazon and the Dedenbear is 369 at Summit. Good luck on whatever you decide. I had too much stuff in the way to run a conventional pump.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Agreed no advantage one to the other other than packaging. Having said that I have a Meziere radiator pump on my car and the dragster has a Meziere remote mount pump on it. Both for space reasons with front drive distributor on the dragster and my car is just tight period.

As for filling them to eliminate any air that can be an issue for sure. We have a vacuum filler and have not had issues with either car. This is the one we use and is a must if you work on late model stuff too

https://www.tequipment.net/Mas...15ba6113011f372125ad

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 987 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Davies Craig remote with their controller with good results.

https://www.summitracing.com/p...4EAYYASABEgJd9_D_BwE

https://daviescraig.com.au/pro...tric-water-pump-8060

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
There is no advantaged to a remote pump over a block mount pump except in a couple of situation. All of these electric pumps used in drag racing are much better and push water then pulling so you want the pump as close to the radiator as possible. We are starting to see a lot of the small tire street type races going to a truck mounted radiator. In this case a remote mounted pump near the radiator would be better for these applications.

If you have a door car and the radiator is in the stock location a block mounted pump is better.

Often over looked is the extra cost of the plumbing required and the fact you need to mount the remote pump somewhere.

The reason most people have trouble with air in the system has nothing to do with the pumps. It is filling at the water neck on the intake.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 237 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
The other advantage is you can get the remote pump in 55gpm where a lot of the block mounted pumps are 35-42 gpm which in 95 percent of drag racing is fine.

A lot boosted and nitrous cars will see some performance gain with 55gpm.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 237 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post