DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Remember this sauce?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember this sauce?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
I’d bet most of you used STP back in the day (60’s-70’s) and had your hopes of a rebuild in a can destroyed. As I’ve said many times, the additive package of new and used oil is important.
The lab test and abrasive tests are useful. The shot lawnmower on 100% STP is stupid as well as the cold flow test.
https://youtu.be/mqiUFklL_XI

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The Petroleum Quality Institute of America website is an excellent resource to find out what is in some of the engine oil, transmission and antifreeze coolants that you purchase.

https://pqia.org/

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I know people who used STP to assemble motors
A Sticky gooey mess.
Mixed with some oil it was not to bad

Andy Granatelli owned STP and ran Indy cars
They gave away Tee Shirts and free cases of the stuff at the Nationals at Indy and other races
Everybody had those Tee shirts

Basically I think it was an oil viscosity additive used to thicken oils.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I thought STP meant:
Stop Teenage Pollution Big Grin

Posts: 2152 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Used it for engine assembly lube in the late 60's and early 70's. No complaints.

Brief period it was just EOS and some engine oil mixed.
I mix Synergyn assembly lube and GM EOS about 50/50 for the past 25-30 years.
The Synergyn looks, smells, and feels a LOT like the original STP formula.

I never fell for the idea STP was a good additive though.
If I had an oil burner it got 50w oil. Laughing Hard

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically I think it was an oil viscosity additive used to thicken oils.....

I believe the pitch was a "viscosity index improver". "Viscosity index is a unit-less number that is derived by measuring a fluid's viscosity from 40⁰C to 100⁰C. The higher the viscosity index, the greater the stability of the lubricants viscosity". "The change in an oil's viscosity due to a temperature change is called the viscosity index (VI). Understanding VI is important to discern whether the lubricant in question meets the asset's requirements based on the operating temperature range". "The viscosity index (VI) is an arbitrary, unit-less measure of a fluid's change in viscosity relative to temperature change. It is mostly used to characterize the viscosity-temperature behavior of lubricating oils. The lower the VI, the more the viscosity is affected by changes in temperature. The higher the VI, the more stable the viscosity".

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Used it for engine assembly lube in the late 60's and early 70's. No complaints.

Brief period it was just EOS and some engine oil mixed.
I mix Synergyn assembly lube and GM EOS about 50/50 for the past 25-30 years.
The Synergyn looks, smells, and feels a LOT like the original STP formula.

I never fell for the idea STP was a good additive though.
If I had an oil burner it got 50w oil. Laughing Hard

"I knew a guy" in the 1970s that actually used 90W gear lube in his crankcase. It worked, right up until the first cold morning. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post