DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How long do you run your XS D or S1600 batteries
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long do you run your XS D or S1600 batteries
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted
I've stated in the past that I rotate a new D1600 every 2 seasons. I have 2 seasons on mine now and it takes a full charge and "seems" fine. What is every one else's program?

Question:
How many seasons on a XS 16V D or S1600

Choices:
2 seasons
3 seasons
4 or more
Until it dies at the track.....

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Tony, if you run an alternator the batteries seem to last longer. I have one car with an XS that is going into its 4th year. They don't give you much notice when they are done but you can typically tell by the way the starter sounds over time as the sound slows down. If the battery is not charged up regularly and allowed to run below 16 volts they won't get past 2 plus years in my experiences.

Some "seasons" are much longer for some. We put alot of laps on cars 11 months a year.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
chis is right,i dont run an alternator but it seems 3-4 seasons is about my average before swapping them out so far

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Tony, if you run an alternator the batteries seem to last longer. I have one car with an XS that is going into its 4th year. They don't give you much notice when they are done but you can typically tell by the way the starter sounds over time as the sound slows down. If the battery is not charged up regularly and allowed to run below 16 volts they won't get past 2 plus years in my experiences.

Some "seasons" are much longer for some. We put alot of laps on cars 11 months a year.

I run a mini alt and always charge between rounds. I've been using XS D or S1600 batteries for about 8-9 years now. Early on there were a lot of stories of them dying after 2 years so I got into that habit. If I can go 3 season safely then I will probably make that my new program.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I will pay the freight and extra for you to box it up properly and ship it to me. Starting my 9th season with this battery. Frankly, I'm a cheap a-z-z and don't want to buy one but I probably will.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I will pay the freight and extra for you to box it up properly and ship it to me. Starting my 9th season with this battery. Frankly, I'm a cheap a-z-z and don't want to buy one but I probably will.

Should I add a line to the poll.
Cheap Azz waiting for a free battery Delivery

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I voted for “until it does at the track” because the two that I owned didn’t make it two years before they died at the track. I went back to turbo start and think the one in the car is 6 or 7 years old. I do carry a spare though but it’s a used spare.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My first 16v V-battery from altronics lasted 8yrs.My 2nd 16v was a Rock,it lasted 7 yrs.I had a XS1600 and their charger,it almost burnt up my car,trailer garage,and house.I have a Lifeline 16v from Wholesale Batteries Direct($219)And it's 3 yrs old and fine.Over the 17-18 yrs.I've used 16v batteries I found as Torqin said,keeping them fully charged will make them live a lot longer.I do run an alt. and use the Autometer BEX-5000 charger.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post