DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hardley Davidson
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardley Davidson
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Spill the beans, Nik. You work at a Harley dealership.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
HD got to write the rules because they paid the bills, that's how it works in the real world!

It’s called the golden rule...”whoever has the gold makes the rules”...

Posts: 404 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
quote:
HD got to write the rules because they paid the bills, that's how it works in the real world!

This is dead on and explains everything.

So you're saying NHRA is nothing more than a Junkie, in need of a fix $$?

Or could it be that you and Ed are projecting yourselves on NHRA?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mopacltd:
Spill the beans, Nik. You work at a Harley dealership.

Not willing , could cost a few friends at H-D Corp. their jobs .

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
quote:

After all your posting about your lost, REALLY...Just the way it is...you should know...

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The stock is bouncing around in the high $35 range. Not looking good after they reported a decline in revenue in the second quarter of 2020.

A 20 year run sponsoring anyone is exceptional. Vance and Hines carried the HD banner for a long time.

Bob

Posts: 3084 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
quote:

After all your posting about your lost, REALLY...Just the way it is...you should know...

First off Einstein, I never lost and have irrefutable Evidence.

You and Ed on the other hand have no Evidence. Only a projection of how your peanut brain

works!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There's a name for what ya'll are talking about here, the way to correct it isn't to kick Harley Davidson, when it's down.

The way to correct post-democracy is to call it out impartially on a case by case basis. We can be as free as we wanna be, or as post-democratic.

Definition. By Crouch's definition: "A post-democratic society is one that continues to have and to use all the institutions of democracy, but in which they increasingly become a formal shell. The energy and innovative drive pass away from the democratic arena and into small circles of a politico-economic elite."

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Only a projection of how your peanut brain

works!

Mike you don't know me , my opinion does not need your name calling. GROW UP...

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only a projection of how your peanut brain

works!

Mike you don't know me , my opinion does not need your name calling. GROW UP...

Fair enough.

It's called post-democratic society. It's nothing to take nonchalant or to normalize.

"A post-democratic society is one that continues to have and to use all the institutions of democracy, but in which they increasingly become a formal shell. The energy and innovative drive pass away from the democratic arena and into small circles of a politico-economic elite."

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
The Harleys look good straped down in the bed of a pro stock truck .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
The Harleys look good straped down in the bed of a pro stock truck .

Pro Stock Trucks, that was another huge NHRA mess they created.
I admit I was not a fan at first, they had trouble getting down the track and crashed a lot. But they worked it out and did much better, Also the advances in Small Block Engine parts and technology in that short time was huge.
Just when those guys got it worked out and being really competitive, got sponsors involved and spectators NHRA pulled the rug out.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4020 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
motorcycle industry in general is 'dead'

I have been involved with motorcycling, and dealership, for 3 decades. When I started in the business at the little tiny dealer I worked at, they sold typically 140-160 motorcycles a year, japanese. In 2019, 6. 2 ZX6R's 2 dirtbikes, and a VN900 and a naked, all were noncurrents (prior year models). Manufacturer dictates what and how many bikes dealer is to order/carry for the year and they made the dealer order 24 of them, and obviously 18 of them were still there as of 10/10/2020 when I left that job. Zero sales in 2020 up to 10/10/20.

I have watched the industry and sales slow up for many years, and for many reasons. The cellphone was a big game changer. The cellphone allows drivers of 4 wheelers (cars/trucks) to be so distracted that city riding is downright dangerous. Combine that with more cars on the same roads, and general stupidity running rampant and you have bikers that won't have any motivation to go ride. Insurance costs are astronomical, and part of that depends on the bike. When it costs more to fix the plastic on a bike than it does to replace the whole bike, there is a problem--insurance costs are based on cost to repair and with labor and parts prices being out of sight (in comparison to when I started in the biz), insurance companies don't have a choice but to jack the rates up to cover their tail. They also had to slowly raise the rates on all bikes to help offset the select few. Did you know, statistically 92% of sportbikes are totaled within 10,000 miles of new? Startling--but true. 8% of them last longer than 10,000 miles. Lots of reasons for that too.

You see a few bikes around, see a bunch of them at rallies and many trailer them to a motel and then ride from the motel to the rally. I have done it myself. Many times. Have ridden TO the rallies as well, only occasionally however.

I absolutely love to ride but I can't justify it anymore. It is a sickness similar to drag racing, you just can't quit. It eats at you.

H-D is not immune to the downturn in motorcycle sales. H-D is active in trying to get that changed but they can't change everything.

There is some neat stuff on the market but I still don't think I could ride on a daily basis like I used to. Just way too many idiots on the roads and it just costs too much to purchase then to maintain & insure. $200 for a rear tire + labor to install it. I can put 4 tires on my old car for $200 and have 3 leftover when I run over a nail, a body around me for when the moron next to me changes lanes without paying attention, heat and air too. My Zuma don't have any of that and neither did any of the other bikes I've owned over the years.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
MAVMAN, you made some very good points there. One thing you said though about bikes being basically disposable because it costs so much to fix them applies to new cars to. They will total out a car now with relatively minor damage.

As for the price of back tires for them they have always been stupid expensive compared to cars.

I see many Harleys on the road but that does not mean they are the most durable fastest bikes out there. It just means they are selling a lot.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4020 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The motorcycle industry is ALL dying. It aint just Harley. Millenials, genZ etc have zero interest in riding or owning motorcycles by and large. It has been a trend for the last 5-7 years. With the previous Boomers and Gen X'ers "timing out" the industry in general is fading away. Those who have moved to side by side and off road market will survive those who have not will continue to struggle. Just the way it is.

Cant believe I would own the same bike as ole Mikey..Time to sell sell sell. 06 Street Bob and 08 Street Glide. I have zero interest in buying another bike, to many clueless and distracted drivers these days. When I am done I am out.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lots of anger behind the wheel of automobiles during these collapses, I noticed it big time during the last 2008 Osama Obama controlled demo and sold this. Put 30,000 miles on it in less than 2 years.

Nothing better than a Hot Rod Harley Davidson.

I'm eyeing a 2019 Road Glide at the repo lot might pull the trigger today. Lots of repo's penny's on the dollar coming up!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So back to original question, will NHRA grow a set and make rules same for everyone now that Harley is not making the payments?

What is going to happen in Pro Stock Bike?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Many don't understand that H-D would not even be in the picture if it weren't for imported motorcycles. Google "escape clause"

A lot of purists and H-D loyalists tend to completely dis japanese bikes, ignoring the fact. Also ignoring the fact that a factory is being built (or is it operational?) In...TAILAND. Yes, harleys built in taiwan.

NHRA and H-D were in bed together. H-D never actually fully produced anything that the NHRA deemed "legal" for PSM The V-Rod's engine was designed in part by Porsche, as I recall. I don't really think that's a bad thing, as many great automotive designs were also partnerships. MC and ATV are not immune (Kawasaki and Suzuki for example). But the v-rods were not drag bikes, they were wannabe look-a-likes, that set the stage for drag racing. On that note, similar to many other "platforms", they were only a blank slate, something to start with for endless modification. IIRC the NHRA approved engine was not even available by anyone outside of NHRA competitors similar to some of the Pro-Stock stuff at one point (Still is??). I haven't kept up with anything Harley in, gosh, 7-8 years? About the time I realized that motorcycles are a dying industry, there's no sense in following a dead horse because it ain't going anywhere. Some of the manufacturers are doing everything they can to revive the industry but it's not working. Some more new stuff is coming down the pipe in the forseeable future, but the question is, will it sell? And that will help determine the future of motorcycle motorsports, with H-D included.

I am not against H-D at all, I have owned a couple in the last 25 years or so. 28. Neither were anything special, they were just bikes that had an iconic history and an iconic sound, but they were powerless, slow, heavy, poor braking, poor transmission performance/shifting and expensive in comparison to the many Jap bikes I've owned (all 4 major brands). Only had the one BMW which was a nice bike but BMW bike owners are odd, much the same as the bikes they idolize.

When I worked at bike dealer, 28 1/2 years of it, I knew the type people that would buy whatever type bike. When a bike rolled into the shop reception bay, even before the helmet came off I knew right away what I was dealing with. If a guy rolls in with an FJR1300, he was real similar to a guy who rides a Connie, or BMW, a little odd but mostly down to earth. You had to deal with them differently as their needs and complaints were different than a Harley customer was or a dirt bike customer. Interesting industry. Only one time in 28 years was I wrong about the rider and the bike, one afternoon I was ready to go home...it was HOT (over 105 deg F), no a/c in the shop, and this white colored Yamaha V-star rolls up, shotguns, studded bags backrest and windshield. Much like a Silverado but at the time the Silverado's weren't out yet. I kinda had an idea what I was dealing with. Helmet came off and long blonde hair fell out, stunningly beautiful lady about 6' tall, she gets up off the bike and I approached. She started to talk and I couldn't understand her dialect...Czech. We hit it off immediately, then ended up dating for about 2 years, and she moved off to persue another dream.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I don't don't know much about pro stock harleys. but I will tell you it's fun to ride the older bagger with a big hammer in it. Opens eyes all the time Smile

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My school days are long behind me, but I’m pretty sure Thailand and Taiwan are separate places.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post