DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Coolant dripping from exhaust ports Part 2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coolant dripping from exhaust ports Part 2
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted
Well found the problem and this one has to be a first Roll Eyes Three header bolt holes have sprung a leak !!!!

Got the header off and pressurized the system and its coming from the header bolt holes. Stuck the scope in there and you can clearly see it has corroded away. These heads are only a few years old Super Angry

Our header bolts only go about 3/4 of the way into the threads so a longer bolt will help. Any ideas on what to use as a sealant ???

I'm thinking maybe some 2 part epoxy and a slightly oily bolt ?????

Ideas welcome ...........

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'd use a hi temp silicon sealer on the treads. I'd bet that would seal it up and also let you easily disassemble when needed.

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Permatex #2

Good luck!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
What the heck is silicon? Oh yeah computer chips are made out of it. SILICONE yes an "E"

Dally a little epoxy, JB, or even silicone, in the bottom of the hole with a q-tip, put a very short allen set screw in the hole. Then you do not have to worry about sealing the holes ever again.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Install studs with sealer instead of bolts after you clean and blow out the holes. You could use an epoxy like JB weld. Let it all cure good before trying it. The stuff is tough and can take heat.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
They make a high heat JB weld too.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 251 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This

I hade a dart little m that one of the timing cover bolts went into water.
https://sdparts.com/i-20078111...1EAQYASABEgJ_sfD_BwE

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You want Loctite 567. Grainger carries it .

Loctite 567

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My brodix small block heads have the same issue on two exh bolt holes. No room for studs so just use ultra black silicone and haven't had any problems with it holding up.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies ....

I ended up using JB weld on a q-tip to cover up the leaking pin holes, let that dry for a day then used a 1/4" longer header bolt and Ford gray silicone on the bolts.

If that don't fix it, nothing will Roll Eyes

Gonna fire it up again today

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:

I ended up using JB weld on a q-tip to cover up the leaking pin holes, let that dry for a day then used a 1/4" longer header bolt and Ford gray silicone on the bolts.

I think that is the best way and it should work fine.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did fix work got a friend with the same problem....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
The end bolts go into the water on SB Mopar (if I recall correctly). I used teflon tape and it worked great.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes it did. Had it running a few times and it holds pressure just fine. Loaded up and heading to VMP for the big test lol

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes it did. Had it running a few times and it holds pressure just fine. Loaded up and heading to VMP for the big test lol

Fixed got done last week Friday night will know if it works thanks

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post