DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    4500 hp vs non hp vs gen3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4500 hp vs non hp vs gen3
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I need a 4500 that can be converted to a blow through. Apparently pre-HP versions are too thin. I have access to a bunch of different dominators but I don’t think any of them are HP. How do I tell for sure? Is HP stamped into the list number? Is an HP also called a gen 3? I see the newer bodies have the air bleeds flush. Do all HPs look that way?

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Any help out there??

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
The non HP carbs have a raised lip around the venturi. For a blow thru how much HP are you expecting to make? HP castings can be made to work, I prefer billet bodies if you are looking for a lot of power...
Non HP
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic...4rh6kWsx0GA&usqp=CAU

HP
https://static.summitracing.co...6-1_xl.jpg?rep=False

Gen 3
https://s19529.pcdn.co/wp-cont...e-6852fc76b536-1.jpg

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Jmark, thanks a bunch. Looks like all the dominators we have laying around are pre-hp so no go.

I was hoping to put together a simple turbo deal that would max out around 1200 hp. Looks like the only way I can stay on a compressor map with a big block is to use a turbo(s) that are good to ~1800 hp. Which means no matter how much I kid myself about not ever turning it up, I will at some point probably end up trying to make 1800.

The rest of the car/motor/fuel system would be fine. I’m having second thoughts about my “simple little turbo bracket car” but if I do it I might as well try to make the carb match the rest of the setup. As long as I don’t have to run one of those electronic monstrosities like the big c&s setup.

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
How big is the engine? What fuel?

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
500” on alcohol.

Was planning to liquidate all the blower stuff and build a “cheaper easier to maintain” turbo deal.

Probably just going to put the blower back on at this point though. The blow through deal looks like it gets expensive quick at 1800 hp on alcohol.

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Blow thru at 1800 HP on methanol needs dual N&S bowls. 1050 sized billet would be my suggestion. If you decide to do it...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers