DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    High Volume Pump - Filter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Volume Pump - Filter?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted
We are going to be using a 20 gal/min alcohol pump for our new ProCharger setup.

What micron size is recommended on the outlet side to the regulator?

Thanks...

DG

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Gerard,

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
This is what i use now

This is what i used on my carb setup

This message has been edited. Last edited by: seabass,

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
100 micron before the pump, 10 micron after the pump.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I filter everything before it goes in the fuel jugs and then again into the fuel cell with an Outerwears 20 micron filter than slips over my 6 qt funnel.
Never had an issue in 12 years with alcohol.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t put a 10 micron on nothing….very very very restricted……40 micron would be the smallest I’d run….

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Whomp, I should have added that I do not run a filter on the car, after filtering the fuel from the barrel into the jugs and then filtering it again as it goes into the fuel cell.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
I wouldn’t put a 10 micron on nothing….very very very restricted……40 micron would be the smallest I’d run….

Might as well not even run a filter then.
Might be restrictive if it is tiny, but a normal size aeromotive 12341 has enough surface area.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
I will speak to alky MFI.

10 microns is a hole size of 0.00039
40 microns is a hole size of 0.0015
100 microns is a hole size of 0.0039
400 microns is a hole size of 0.0157

The diameter of human hair varies from 0.017 to 0.18 millimeters (0.00067 to 0.00709 in)

Things to be considered.
Filter mfgs want you to believe that smaller is better. Really? When has smaller ever worked? Smile
Just how small of a nozzle hole size do you need to protect?

Electric pump users: The smaller the micron the larger the restriction. Does your electric pump have the power? If used on the suction side it's like sucking on a milk shake. Tough to do.

As a test, install a gauge before and after a filter to see what the restriction may be. It will surprise you. Just decide what you can live with.

I find that too many that use filters treat them like their everyday driver and never check/clean them. Foolish.
These might be the same folks that never drain the alky at the end of the day, shove it in a hot box, letting it heat soak for days on end and wonder why the engine complains later.

Jok's method is the best for alky MFI.
It does mean you have to take an extra couple of minutes of thought and time. No sympathy given.
IF it helps consider this. You will have fewer connections and less weight on the car with this method.

While not fond of filters on MFI I offer a 400 micron filter for those that that insist on one.

One place where a filter is a must on any car is on the tank vent line. A whole lot of dust and track crap gets pulled through that line.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Don't run a filter. Just make sure fuel is clean when you put it in.

Posts: 621 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
I filter everything before it goes in the fuel jugs and then again into the fuel cell with an Outerwears 20 micron filter than slips over my 6 qt funnel.
Never had an issue in 12 years with alcohol.

Jok

I had a filter on my car and took it off, not needed. I too filter the fuel going into the jugs and then again going into the fuel cell. I also have a screw on cap so no dirt can accumulate and accidentally fall into the cell when the cap comes off.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I've said it before for you guys with no filter. You must race where the wind doesn't blow. Come out here to New Mexico and we'll see what ends up in the bottom of your fuel tank.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I've said it before for you guys with no filter. You must race where the wind doesn't blow. Come out here to New Mexico and we'll see what ends up in the bottom of your fuel tank.

How is it getting in there?

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
FIE sales inline filter that rated higher than 20 gpm do not remember what exactly. If choose that let me know have one dang near new will sale you for less shipped.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I live in the desert. The wind blows here, a LOT.

No matter how careful you are you are not going to keep all the sand and dirt out of the fuel system. I filter from drum to jug and jug to tank and I still get a certain amount of trash in the tank and subsequently in the fuel filter. Not to mention the tiny pieces of plastic that come off the funnel.

If you choose not to run a filter that’s up to you. Good luck!

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Do you guys ever worry about the sponge in the tank letting loose tiny particles?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
We took the sponge out of the tank early on.

Never had a problem before or sense, but why take a chance?

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Dave,

I live in the desert. The wind blows here, a LOT.

No matter how careful you are you are not going to keep all the sand and dirt out of the fuel system. I filter from drum to jug and jug to tank and I still get a certain amount of trash in the tank and subsequently in the fuel filter. Not to mention the tiny pieces of plastic that come off the funnel.

If you choose not to run a filter that’s up to you. Good luck!

Tank vent filtered?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Yes, the tank vent is filtered.