Find
Notify
Tools

v-6 engine
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of racerbug
posted
This might be a little of the wall but here I go. I have a 1969 v-6 buick motor 225 in a jeep cj5 and it is what they call a odd fire. The problem is i am having a problem finding parts,so i am thinking that is it possible to replace the bottom end with stock GM rotating assy. if so would i have to change any other parts. Or should i just find a v-6 in a junk yard and build it?

Posts: 11 | Location: Lake Worth Florida | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My dad had one of those and as far as I know the Jeep is stored at a friends place but has been sitting for the last 30 plus years so probably just like of rust.
I think the odd fire deal was just in the cam grind but could be wrong, I always loved the sound of that Jeep when I was a kid.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The early odd-fires lasted until mid 1977. At that time, Buick went to the full even-fire design with a 30deg split rod journal crank. Cam, distributer, crank, rods, heads, intake were all different. The rods had to be offset in the bores by about .10". From '81-'84, they offered a 252ci version with Siamese bores and a Quadrajet intake in the big cars and some Cadillacs. Around 1988, they went to the on-center configuration, followed by another version with a balance shaft. That said, engines with the old standard BOP rwd bell housing pattern were only offered through the 1987 model year, I believe. Hope this helps you decision a little.

Pro Bracket
'78 Skylark
274" Buick v6
11.58 @ 116mph best

Posts: 12 | Location: Wappingers Falls, NY | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post