DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2 12 volt or one 16 volt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 12 volt or one 16 volt
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strange Magic:
The same post 4 to 5 years ago and you'd get a beat down by the peanut gallery for voicing the positive results from a 16V system.

Frankly the situation here is different. He wanted to turn the engine over faster. All other things being equal, obviously the 16v will turn the engine over faster than 12V. No real argument to be had, nor drama needed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Strange Magic:
The same post 4 to 5 years ago and you'd get a beat down by the peanut gallery for voicing the positive results from a 16V system.

Frankly the situation here is different. He wanted to turn the engine over faster. All other things being equal, obviously the 16v will turn the engine over faster than 12V. No real argument to be had, nor drama needed.

Yea its the need for drama that cause it to happen around here. LMAO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
one 12 volt lithium , no special charger or alternator required going on its 3rd year now and no signs of it getting weaker . $350 from " smart battery" and only weighs 13 lbs best bang for the buck in the long term.

Posts: 40 | Location: canada | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I found a video the other day of my car starting on 18 volts. Makes me miss it ALMOST enough to go back. It was a pain to keep charged but it makes my 16v setup sound like an old farmall

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
was that 18 crank 12 run? I was thinking about doing that as well. Running 2 12's right now but was seriously looking at 12/18

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have joked about this in the past. But for those who have two batteries, would a starter survive 24 volts? Could be 24/12 pretty easily it seems. Even charging should be simple?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD6297:
was that 18 crank 12 run? I was thinking about doing that as well. Running 2 12's right now but was seriously looking at 12/18

Yep. I originally only had 18 to the big post. Had a problem later on with solenoid chatter that went away when I also sent 18 to the little post. I contemplated sending 18 to everything but was afraid if I ever accidentally left the car on while charging I would fry something.

House of Payne advised me against 12/24. He guaranteed me the inrush would wipe out any starter that wasn't built for 24. He thought 18 would be fine though so that's what I did.

If you could start the circuit on 12 and then immediately jump to 24 you could probably make the starter live but I couldn't find a reasonable way to do that when it was time to make a decision.

The 18 worked fine for a few years (and a friend of mine had done it way before that), but I landed a 16v charger for pennies so went ahead and made the switch.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My two cents. I was always a 12 volt guy. If you had problem you could pull the battery from your truck or the trailer and keep racing. I got a smoking deal on a 16 volt alternator so I decided to give it a shot. I will never go back.

This is the 6th season on this XS Power battery, it still works great. I switched the trailer over to two six volt golf cart batteries so I can't even use them if need be.

No need to buy the high dollar 16 volt charger. I keep it only as a spare. I bought the 16 volt Autometer maintainer. The only time it's not hooked up is race day. I never charge on race day and no problems whatsoever.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abitz:
one 12 volt lithium , no special charger or alternator required going on its 3rd year now and no signs of it getting weaker . $350 from " smart battery" and only weighs 13 lbs best bang for the buck in the long term.

Does it turn over as fast as a 16V?

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fastman-99:
quote:
Originally posted by abitz:

Does it turn over as fast as a 16V?

not faster than 16 volt ,but faster than a 12 volt lead acid . lithium has a flat curve and voltage does not drop as a lead acid battery .

Posts: 40 | Location: canada | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post