DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2 12 volt or one 16 volt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 12 volt or one 16 volt
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok I have one of the Braile 12v battery's in car and it turns over so so. Seems to drop pretty quick.

I figured may require two and already setup for that if need. Question do I go with 2 of those or one 16v. Being as I have MSD mag 12 I need fairly fast cranking speed.

Looking at XS S series over XP or D series,any input on the three would also be helpful. If going 16v. Few bucks but also 16 lbs less weight.

Braile is not a waste as it also fits my Harley and with the way its built it needs all the battery it can get.

Before we start into it being system or wiring. Starter maybe it is used. Wiring no.Same voltage at starter as battery at front of car.Used 0 wire from battery to master cutoff and from cut off to starter.Ground is o also.Grounded to engine and chassis.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4162 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
I would think the amperage from two 12V's in parallel would be capable of providing more energy than a single 16V. Large diesels used 12V's in parallel to spin their starters.

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
260 Eliminator Eagle XP HP500EFI
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6
Proud Deplorable

Posts: 60 | Location: Castro Valley, CA State of Insanity | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If your looking for speed 16v is the way to go. Makes a huge difference on injected vehicles as well.

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
16V cranking speed can not be matched by 12V...

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that I agree with

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve run both two 16 volt red top Optima batteries and a single XS 16 volt battery. There is no comparison between the two, the single 16 volt battery will spin the engine much faster. The only “down side” is the initial cost of the battery and the 16 volt charger. The 16 spins the engine as if the spark plugs had been removed.

With the two 12 volt batteries I would spin the engine then turn on the ignition, with the 16 I turn the ignition on then spin the engine, it fires as soon as I hit the starter. That single 16 volt XS weighs 43 pounds. I keep the 16 volt charger on the battery all the time, after it’s fully charger it goes into float mode. I’ve had the same 16 volt XS battery in the car for more than three years.

Bob

Posts: 3059 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
The MAG needs to see X amount of RPM to work. If you are not getting to that RPM its not going to fire. We use 2 12v batteries on the TS card i help with. We use a 24 V starter and parallel them to the starter solenoid, and use only one to power everything else.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is the sixth season on my XS 16 volt battery. I will never go back to 12 volts. Only issue I had was with the water pump. It spun the pump so fast it was cavitating. I installed a voltage step down box for the water pump and no more issues.

Oh yeah, no need to buy a 16 volt big expensive charger. I never use mine. I bought an Autometer 16 volt maintainer and that's all I use.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Looks like 16v is way to go. Besides only few pounds over two and we know how FED's hate extra nose weight. LMAO

Posts: 4162 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
16V cranking speed can not be matched by 12V...

Ya but,,,,, depends on the starter and flywheel too! If you have a 139 flywheel and a 9 tooth starter it will be faster than a 168 flywheel and 9 tooth starter no matter what voltage. They also have 11 and 12 tooth starters which will spin the motor even faster,, assuming you have the power/battery to carry the loads!

It's not just voltage!

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have 139/9 tooth combo.Figure going with 16v will be fastest,provided everything else good and never seen a mag spin too fast to fire off.LOL

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
different ratios will change things a little bit. 16v will change any of the ratios alot. None of those ratios on 12v will compete with 16v with the slowest ratio.

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My car is 139/11 on 12 volt and it spins pretty good, my uncles car is the same starter combo with 16v. Had a man ask him at the fling last year if his car run 4:80 on the starter alone. The only down side I’ve seen to the 16 volt batteries is when they go bad there done with no indication there going either.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
16v on the way from that Jegs place.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Been running a single 16 volt with no alternator for around 5 years and love it and would never go back to 12v.
Here a little advise, make sure you have a good smart charger/maintainer like the Rock/Moroso or XS charger and keep the battery plugged in 24/7, the charger will go into float mode and charge as needed automatically. Another thing to remember is a 16 volt battery will act like your cordless drill when voltage gets low, 1 minute it spins your engine over like there is no plugs in in it and the next minute its dead, usually happens at the worst possible time, ask me how I know lol

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
When using smart / computer controlled chargers on generator power use a inverter generator . Power quality oscillations can other render chargers useless .

Posts: 1232 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Battery arrived today.Does spin faster,but mainly doesn't seem to wear down after 3 or 4 hits. Still wondering about starter since its not disengaging as I think it should. Damn I hate unknown used stuff. Should have been rich instead of so good looking,probably got even more T&A with wealth. LOL

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
when just bumping the starter the motor stops with load against the drive,it will po in if you move the crank any.assumeing shimmed close

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Battery great. Starter thing not big deal. The dang nose piece will not sit down now,needs another 1/2 to 3/4 clearance.Time to break out grinder and welder. Always fun making a change,but if it was easy lazy people would do it too.LOL

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The same post 4 to 5 years ago and you'd get a beat down by the peanut gallery for voicing the positive results from a 16V system.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post