DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Digital Delay box questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Delay box questions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
I've never used a delay box before and just finished installing a Mega 200.

1. Why do I have delay 1 and delay 2?

2. It has a reaction tester and I'm between .021 and .028 no matter what I set delay 1 to. Is it not taking the delay number in to account? The actual readout on my RT is 0.254. I'm reading that has .0254. Is that really .254

3. Do you leave the box powered up all day at the track? I don't like turning the main power switch off & on every time I get out of the car but I could easily put a toggle switch in it.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You could be in Push Button Mode 2, and that is why you see 2 delay times.

I believe the RT you see using the tester would be the time it takes you to react to the display going on and the button being released. I think when I tried mine when first installed was 0.190 – 0.200 . This is not like using a practice tree where it allows you to set delay and roll out value.

These boxes draw little current when the display is on. I suggest wiring to be ON when the main disconnect is ON and not to a toggle switch. This way there’s no chance of it being in the off position when racing. Or wire to the Ignition ON switch if wanting it off when the main disconnect is ON.

Posts: 2454 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Check Digital Delay website. You might be able to print the users manual for that box.

One thing to consider on power switch. If you accidently hit the TB button, your timers are now cycling. I have ours on a toggle with the switch protector, red cover down is "ON". Can be reset in just a few seconds and you are back in business.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The manual is here:

Mega200 Manual

If it like my 600 then the delay two is for a second hit at the tree with a separate button. If I understand it correctly this feature allows you to adjust the delay of the second button to allow for one hand being faster than the other.

Kind of new to the whole Digital Delay world but I have read and re-read the manual a few times. Smile Mark is correct thought the built in practice feature just tests your reaction to the light coming on. It does not directly correlate to the reaction you would see in the car on the track. There is no input for rollout ETC.

Hope this helps!
Chris

Posts: 9 | Location: Medina,Ohio | Registered: June 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help Mark.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeB4963:
One thing to consider on power switch. If you accidentally hit the TB button, your timers are now cycling. I have ours on a toggle with the switch protector, red cover down is "ON". Can be reset in just a few seconds and you are back in business.

This is why I Do Not use the Delay Box Push-button Interrupt Time or Shift Timer. I leave these tasks to MSD Grid. Unlike a Delay Box that needs to be reset (or times out) to get back into starting line mode, Grid can be wired to only lock everything out when actually making the run. Bump the TB button at the wrong time while staging and you will have control back after the delay box delay setting times out. Generally less than 2 seconds depending on length of crossover.

Posts: 2454 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I re-read the Mega 200 instructions (I have Elite which is different) and now would recommend using Push- Button Mode 2 and having only one button attached to the PB 1 terminal. If it displays two Delay times, the first Delay Time is what PB 1 terminal is activating. The second delay time can’t be activated because nothing is attached to PB 2 terminal.

Because the second delay cannot be activated you could possibly zero it out to keep from being confused which one to adjust when needed.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all responses. I set it to PB Mode 2 after re-reading the directions last night but I didn't zero out the second delay. I'll do that just to be safe.

If I have the delay set to 1 second and I accidently hit the button, won't it be ready to hit again after 1 second? I'm confused about using a toggle to re-set the box.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
another thing to consider, if you have a trans brake that requires you to push the button to back up, that will also cause you to wait for reset. Install a backup button somewhere out of the way so you dont accidentally hit it. You wont have to wait for the delay to cycle out.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
If I have the delay set to 1 second and I accidentally hit the button, won't it be ready to hit again after 1 second? I'm confused about using a toggle to re-set the box.

Yes, after 1 second the box delay times out and the box is reset.

The Mega 200 (like many DD boxes) has a Push-Button Interrupt Time feature ( Page 7). When programmed, this feature will not let the delay box cycle again if the TB push button is pushed a second time until timed out.

This is a great feature to use if your button is located on the steering wheel and there is a chance it might get bumped during the run.

If you have this feature set to 6 seconds and you use the TB button to back up, you will not be able to move forward until this feature times out. If you have a separate back up button, you bypass the delay box to back up and are able to immediately move forward.

To over-ride this feature when running, one pushes the Clear button or Reset toggle switch on the delay box input panel to cancel. The Mega 200 does not have a Clear or Reset input that I am aware of. Cycling the power ON to OFF /ON clears this feature if running and the delay box is reset.

The fastest way to reset this type of box is to wire the +12 v feeding the box through a SPST Normally Closed Push Button. A simple push of this button resets the box.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
If you have this feature set to 6 seconds and you use the TB button to back up, you will not be able to move forward until this feature times out. If you have a separate back up button, you bypass the delay box to back up and are able to immediately move forward.

The first statement is not correct at all!

If you have 6 seconds in the interrupt timer, the transbrake still releases after 1 second (or whatever your delay time is set to) and you can move forward with no issue. However, if you decide you want to back up again, you won't be able to do that until the 6 seconds have expired.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:

The first statement is not correct at all!

If you have 6 seconds in the interrupt timer, the transbrake still releases after 1 second (or whatever your delay time is set to) and you can move forward with no issue. However, if you decide you want to back up again, you won't be able to do that until the 6 seconds have expired.

You are Correct Tony. I wrote this “incorrectly”. Thanks!

The point I was trying to make in this scenario is this.

If you have the Interrupt Time set to 6 seconds and you have pre-staged and are bumping in, and “inadvertently” bump the TB button you’re now stopped until the Delay times out (1 second) and then when you continue to bump in, you have to wait until the Interrupt Time has timed out for the Delay Box to function again unless you can manually reset it.

I have been bitten by what I have now wrote when I first put my delay box in last year. I was timed out on the tree as I was last going in with my opponent Staged.

My box sits 90* to the right of driver on the driveshaft tunnel (door car). I have old eyes and cannot find the reset button in a timely manner in the heat of the battle.

I also use the Delay Box TB output to activate the line lock. The back up button output required a diode to make it not activate the Line Lock when used for back up.

The above is no longer an issue for me as MSD Grid controls this interrupt function "after" leaving the starting line in both Box and No Box racing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
The reaction tester measures only your reaction time. I usually hit it a few times in the staging lanes to see where I'm at. The first few times I hit it, I tend to be about .195-.200. I keep doing it until I'm down to about .185. I know that I'm seeing the tree good at that point, and i'm ready to go. It's an excellent tool.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
You guys are much quicker than me cause I live between 250 and 280. Maybe my button location isn't good but I like the consistency.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
you may need a different button

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are much quicker than me cause I live between 250 and 280. Maybe my button location isn't good but I like the consistency.

I have found that temperature and sun on the box change the reaction times when using the tester. When the box is warm my reaction times are better when using the tester. It’s probably because the lcd display can “light up” faster when it’s warmer.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:

I have found that temperature and sun on the box change the reaction times when using the tester. When the box is warm my reaction times are better when using the tester. It’s probably because the lcd display can “light up” faster when it’s warmer.

I don't see a difference in temp, but night and day i will be different due to the backglow of the screen. Night time i am usually slower, as if the backlight dims the flash of the screen.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

I'm using the big red button that Biondo sells. I was surprised at how much pressure it take to compress it.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm using the big red button that Biondo sells. I was surprised at how much pressure it take to compress it.

on your practice system???that is what i was referring to

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The big red mushroom buttons don’t take much pressure to “click” in my opinion. Maybe you have a faulty button? Try pushing the same button in someone else’s car and see if it feels the same.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post