DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    5200 series transfer switch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5200 series transfer switch
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted
Rich I need help gen side of transfer switch is popping and won’t let power through, is this as simple as the switch is bad or is something telling it to do it

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1413 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I am guessing the switch is bad....Happens regularly at the track..

In an emergency like that I connect the generator output feed wires direct to the coach wires (load). Bypass the switch right there at the switch....Hopefully you have enough wire to do that...

Biggest problem is finding some sort of connectors large enough to make the connections.

Wires are usually pretty large....Wire nuts not likely gonna work....

I now have stuff in my trailer for that issue. Either very large wire nuts or crimp sleeves or a sleeve connector with set screws and tape it up...

Did one last year at the track and replaced the switch for the owner at my place the following week...

They overheat and burnup....Wires get overheated and connections fail....The popping is probably arcing....It's dangerous....can start a fire....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hi Rich! Why do generators fail in numbers? Lol
Mine has a code 33 now, starts -dies! Ran it three hours yesterday working in the trailer. Location of the sender??

Thanks Rich.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Check your pm.

Generators get a bad rap when they quit but what would we do without them !!

I serviced one today with 5400hrs on it.
A very well taken care of 7KW gas unit.

My truck has 100,000 miles on it and I think it’s at 3700hrs.

Just a little comparison of hours and miles.

Not exactly apples to apples I know....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
rich are you able to sell me a part or do i need to go another way .it looks like all i need is one contactor

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1413 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Check your pm.

Generators get a bad rap when they quit but what would we do without them !!

I serviced one today with 5400hrs on it.
A very well taken care of 7KW gas unit.

My truck has 100,000 miles on it and I think it’s at 3700hrs.

Just a little comparison of hours and miles.

Not exactly apples to apples I know....

Oh they work hard for sure! Thank you!
Sorry Rusty.. didn't mean to derail you.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
rich are you able to sell me a part or do i need to go another way .it looks like all i need is one contactor

No I don't sell parts for transfer switches and don't think you will find anyone who does.

I replace the entire switch when I do one and try to buy one that is similar or identical.

There are a few pretty typical brands and sizes used in Motorhomes...

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks rich are you going to gainsville

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
No sir....I wish I was for sure...

Sick of the cold and snow/rain up here.

Good luck and have fun if you are...

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks again

1.036, 6.16@ 224