DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Racepak dash power
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racepak dash power
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted
Got a question on power to dash, right now dash doesn’t come on till you turn on ignition switch, I hate that just for purposes of watching temp while cooling down in the pits. Can you just have dash power up when you turn on master power? Or is that not a good thing to do? It’s trivial but it’s just annoying. Just curious how everyone has theirs wired. Thanks

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I have and wire them to a hot lug that powers up with the master on/off switch and fuse them with a 5 amp fuse.
When I first installed my IQ3 I hated having to turn the ignition on to see it.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well, mine is hot whenever the power switch is on.
It's nice for a lot of reasons.
But. I'm not sure if is the best thing for the life of the dash. I have had to send mine in twice over the years for backlight repair.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6365 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys that what I need to hear and I like the fuse part. I just hate having to turn the ignition on to look at dash.

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
My RPM Performance digital dash and K&R delay box are on with the power

Posts: 2404 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Oakberry
posted Hide Post
Wired mine to come on with master switch, no issues so far other than the common backlight issue. Sent back for repair once so far, two years.

Posts: 3 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: November 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea, most want the dash on with main power. That's how I have mine. The only issue might be O2 sensors. The O2's draw 2-5 amps so you want to get them on the ignition switch.

Sort of related - the frequent failure of the back light going out on the UDX family of dashes does not appear to be related to leaving it on for long periods. AND just in the past few months Racepak feels the have a real fix to this issue.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Mine is on the AUX dual switch on the Mega Dial panel. Position 1 turns the racepak & dash on. Position 2 adds the O2 sensors. Only issue I have had is every once in awhile I for get to switch it to turn the o2 on. I dont know how many amps the IQ3 pulls but I usually turn it off

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post