DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Glide cooler line pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glide cooler line pressure
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just had my Glide freshened and after I installed and ran the tranny I noticed there wasn't much for pressure when I took one of the cooler lines off. The Transmission was a bit overfull so I was going to drain a bit from the cooler line and noticed this. Any Thoughts? Thanks Mike

Posts: 2 | Location: Palmerston Ontario Canada | Registered: March 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mike, some modifications, and some input shaft combinations restrict the cooler oil flow. Does the trans operate normally?

Also, a test of pump pressure at the low servo test port should show 175 pounds or more, with some builds, 220 pounds. Consider asking the trans builder what to expect with cooler oil flow.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Cooler flow is not line pressure.
Line pressure is measured at the servo.
175 for a regular bracket brake style, and higher with a modified or pro, 220 up to 275 for a pro glide.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I recently upgraded my unknown 18 year old trans cooler with one that has fan. Derale atomic. I immediately notice when putting the car in gear or moving the car about the transmission felt very loose. Before I swear the car turned the tires putting it in gear.

Track performance was identical. Talked to rossler and he said it was caused by other cooler being restrictive and making coverter appear tighter. Down track will not be effected.

He said converter and cooler run at same pressure??

I did have to up my launch rpms to bring my reaction times back in line. Lost about .02 reaction.

Thought the whole thing was interesting... Hate how the car feels now. Lol

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1433 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I check line and cooler pressure on every PG build, for the very reason stated above. Cooler and actual internal line pressure are different circuits and have different pressures, or they're supposed to be different anyway. The shafts can vary, as well as other things like the cooler itself, lines, quick couplers (if there area any), etc.

Last one I did, cooler pressure was 35 psi and it lives a nice happy life behind a 840hp SBF.

The cooler pressure is also the converter charge pressure so if it gets excessive, for whatever reason, it can cause the converter to be pushed forward, which can take out the crankshaft thrust and bearing. Quite common on SBF's (mostly 8.2 deck stuff) for whatever reason.

I was told about 50 psi is max. I've never seen it any higher than 45 on anything I've put together during initial test using a test jig on the bench.

Perhaps FTI can comment.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post