DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    EFI Thread for Dummy's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EFI Thread for Dummy's
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Ok. I'm the dummy! I seem to have had more problems with this install and getting it running correct than I imagined. I was messing up someone else's thread with my issues, so I figured I would start my own.

So last night's learning: After having a fuel rail off, that empty fuel rail apparently can make you very susceptible to a lean backfire when you go to start up. Backfired hard enough to break a tooth off the starter. Not wanting to repeat this performance.....how do you avoid this? This is a belt drive fuel pump. Does the fuel pump up there with the injectors not opening if you crank it with the ignition off? Or does it air lock until the injectors bleed off the air? Oh this is methanol.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6366 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When I had a FAST system with a DSR mechanical pump, I would take the belt off and use a spare belt to spin the pump to prime it. once I had fuel pressure for a few seconds I knew it would fire right up.

I also use gas squirt bottle for every initial fire up until the engine was warm.

I was always on methanol and never lost any starter or flex plate teeth. I ran it for 10 years. I sold the system as FAST no longer supported the classic grey box anymore.

Rob

Posts: 110 | Location: Toronto | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Bucky,
As Rob said it is the same as if you had a MFI.
A dry, empty pump is a no no. Pull the hose and wet the pump and prime it the first time of the day.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
First of the day doesn't seem to be an issue. Just turns over a little longer. I have learned my lesson about an empty system though.
Thank you both!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6366 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Ok. I'm the dummy! I seem to have had more problems with this install and getting it running correct than I imagined. I was messing up someone else's thread with my issues, so I figured I would start my own.

So last night's learning: After having a fuel rail off, that empty fuel rail apparently can make you very susceptible to a lean backfire when you go to start up. Backfired hard enough to break a tooth off the starter. Not wanting to repeat this performance.....how do you avoid this? This is a belt drive fuel pump. Does the fuel pump up there with the injectors not opening if you crank it with the ignition off? Or does it air lock until the injectors bleed off the air? Oh this is methanol.

LOL...if you're referring to my Methanol thread, you weren't messing it up at all! All info on that thread was relevant to the situation as far as I was concerned, and I was glad to see all of the responses that were offered up. I learned a lot, as I'm sure others did as well. I'm looking forward to watching this thread as well, and will be subscribing to it.

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My good friend tried running an EFI twin throttle body setup on a SB Chevy on methanol. One season and the engine was basically junk when I took it apart. A World Block one or two runs from throwing the crank out the bottom and that’s no exaggeration. 160lb injectors. EFI on gas needs proper tuning by an experienced tuner familiar with the ECU. On Methanol it’s even more critical to get it right. I’d never run EFI gas or methanol. MFI methanol or a carb. on gas or methanol

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Sorry, have never used a belt driven pump. That seems to only be used with MFI, or very high horsepower EFI combinations. My little electric Weldon EFI pump supported over 1000hp, and they make much larger.

Been running EFI since 1986, have never and will never run a carb. Wink

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Bucky,
If that will spin up on it's own just use the 2 button system. Spin it until you see the desired pressure then hit the mag.

Now.... I doubt you will see that pressure with the common 7 gpm pumps. The pumps at cranking speed just don't have the VPR to hit that fifty or whatever lbs. You may have to go to a primer system to fire it. Once the pump is up to speed then you are golden.

I sell 20 gpm pumps to the guys with the giant cubes and twin turbos even thou they only need 10. Why? The pump has enough volume per rev (VPR)at cranking speed to get the pressure up. Then they dump off a whole bunch of it to get back within their needed gpm range. Before that they used to use electric pumps to start it.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Bucky,
You are using a return style pressure system aren't you.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
Bucky,

Yes regulated to 45 psi. I'm just using the small Ron's pump I used with my MFI. I never figured it would work. But it fires right up. If it sat for a day, it may crank for 5 seconds before firing. During race day it is like the daily driver. I still can't believe it. I took my primer off after seeing how well it works. So far I haven't seen any dip in pressure during the half assed runs I have made.

Talked to Holley, and they said it sounds like a bad injector. I ordered a single that should be here tomorrow. And starter parts.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck: have never and will never run a carb.

Agreed.

Posts: 2440 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
Bucky,

Yes regulated to 45 psi. I'm just using the small Ron's pump I used with my MFI. I never figured it would work. But it fires right up. If it sat for a day, it may crank for 5 seconds before firing. During race day it is like the daily driver. I still can't believe it. I took my primer off after seeing how well it works. So far I haven't seen any dip in pressure during the half assed runs I have made.

Talked to Holley, and they said it sounds like a bad injector. I ordered a single that should be here tomorrow. And starter parts.

That is one of the good things about EFI, they start good, can be tuned to idle good and uses a lot less fuel especially at low RPM than a mechanical injection. It does sound like a bad injector if you have moved it around and the problem follows that injector. You will get it and will probably like it when you do. In my class I am not allowed to run EFI or I would consider it to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3973 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Check this out Bucky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vc0iVQKVJI

With my old car, I had one of the Facet primer pumps in the system because my fuel tank was up front. New car has fuel tank under seat but does need tank to be full if car has been sitting for a few hours.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley:
Check this out Bucky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vc0iVQKVJI

With my old car, I had one of the Facet primer pumps in the system because my fuel tank was up front. New car has fuel tank under seat but does need tank to be full if car has been sitting for a few hours.

That's what I used to have plumed to a nozzel in the intake, or with a n2o plate for the other setup. I had folks tell me to plumb it into the fuel line for efi. But so far, with the exception of this incident, it hasn't been needed. I'm going to get in the habit of rolling the motor over a bit before trying to start it if it sat for a day or if I broke the lines.

I sure hope the new injector makes everything work better. It ought to idle and run better, and certainly the o2 data will make more sense. I may even get crazy and learn how to use the self tuning to help me along with my tune. We are going to the track with the jr on Saturday. I may very well bring my car too.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
Been EFI since 1996, and will never go back to a carb. Now I sell, install, and tune EFI systems. Hang in there, it's worth it.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Whatdoyaknow. Idles better on eight! Pulled a bunch of fuel out. I can make it lean out now

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
Good deal! Glad that has got you heading towards resolution...

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Only got one pass in Friday night what with helping my son with his racing and it was a busy Friday for the track.
8.49. Has run 7.90, so we have a ways to go. I found some minor problems, and have tweaked the tune some as it was rich. The 02 data makes some sense now. However, it bounces around more than I would think EFI would. I will chase it, but I guess I was a little surprised.
One problem is that it seems to cut out very briefly when the air shifter activates. I will check to see if that is on a relay, and if not, I will put it on one. How much must those little air solenoids draw? Can't be much can it?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
I read you alternator thread.
A 101 stab in the dark. As you know grounds are everything. Even more so with EFI involved?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have about 100 grounds in this thing. All to posts wired to the battery. But one could be broken. That's a fun thought! But one I may need to pursue.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo