DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MOTORHOME GURUS...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOTORHOME GURUS...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Where do you find this serial number list?

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Where do you find this serial number list?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f12...er-range-180891.html

That website is the best for anything RV.

Why Do We Do This!

Posts: 14 | Location: United States | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Cummins PDF..Expensive deal to say the least.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/att...=219175&d=1537057855

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Whomper,

Do as you are doing and as Strange and others have said and you'll be fine. Set your minimum requirements and DO NOT COMPROMISE.
If you do it can be a VERY expensive learning experience. And what ever you do, do NOT listen to an RV dealer.
As you research things you'll learn more and more about what is good and what is not.
If it is too good to be true it's probably not.

You can do as you wish but below are some of the things I looked for - minimum:

Year: 2008 and older for PRE DEF
Engine: Cummins 8.9 425 minimum
Side radiator
10k Generator minimum
Tandem Axle (if you are going to have a heavy trailer)
150 gallon fuel (if you plan to travel long distances)
15k hitch (depending on trailer)
Household refrigerator/freezer (for wife so no carrying bags of ice)
Outdoor mini-fridge (so no having to go in the coach for cold drinks or lugging coolers around)
Under $100k
Outside radio (so you can hear when you are called to the lanes)
Auto awnings (in case you are NOT at the coach and a huge gust of wind comes your awning doesn't rip off, I learned the hard way.)
No Carpet (rubber is a pain to get out of carpet)
No Cloth Seats (same as above)
King bed (my preference, I like room)

I'm not saying you want/need these things but they were important to my wife and I (along with other stuff).
And as was mentioned review the RV forums, they are a world of GREAT info.

Sorry for being so long but you get what I'm saying.
Again, do NOT compromise, if you do, every time you drive the thing you will be swearing at it.
Big Grin

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'll add to the list above:

Independent front suspension (IFS)
2 stage engine brake

Posts: 27 | Location: Pen Argyl, PA | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have found a 2005 NEWMAR KOUNTRY STAR 3910,spartan chassis,330 ISC CUMMINS I am going to look at...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I see household refrigerator above. how is that for use during travel and overnight during mild weather? I would hate to have to always run the generator. How long can it run on the inverter/batteries?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I see household refrigerator above. how is that for use during travel and overnight during mild weather? I would hate to have to always run the generator. How long can it run on the inverter/batteries?

I believe any MH with one of these has a good size inverter (at least 3000)and a Gen Set that monitors the coach batteries and starts automatically when needed to keep them charged. Both Frig types have their Pro's and Con's so pick your poison.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have the residential fridge in ours. We like it.
The inverter runs it all but the ACs, we have run the fridge and TVs for 6 to 8 hours at a time on the inverter, no problem.

We have the newer model ONAN QD8000 generator. It is also a very nice piece of equipment. This is in a 38 ft. Renegade. I was a little worried about the 8K generator, wanted more, but it handles the load just fine. We were out racing in some nasty 100+ weather last year and no problem at all.

The gen. also is very fuel friendly, about 1/3 gallon per hour average over 5 days last July at Topeka, KS.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Found a 2003 Newmar dutchstar garage kept two owners 85,000 miles...ISC 350 in opinions on this coach...thanks...

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Found a 2003 Newmar dutchstar garage kept two owners 85,000 miles...ISC 350 in opinions on this coach...thanks...

Cool, you won't hurt that engine. Look up the engine serial number and verify what fuel pump it has. https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html. You can also sign up for there membership and get a discount on any Cummins part or service.

Why Do We Do This!

Posts: 14 | Location: United States | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
riginally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

i have one of those ,over all been happy.plenty of power,although can you have too much.normall mh issues.if there has been a defining problem is mine drives bad.i am getting close to resolving that.check the waste gate control for operation,and likely the radiator needs to be cleaned internal and external.7 to 8 mpg

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:
riginally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

i have one of those ,over all been happy.plenty of power,although can you have too much.normall mh issues.if there has been a defining problem is mine drives bad.i am getting close to resolving that.check the waste gate control for operation,and likely the radiator needs to be cleaned internal and external.7 to 8 mpg

Honestly, 500 hp and 1650 ft/lbs, I'm only using 7 gears out of 12, I definitely feel I need no more power.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post