DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MOTORHOME GURUS...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOTORHOME GURUS...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
2006 Newmar Ventana..34ft. Pusher Cummins 300...Freightliner Raised Rail Chassis...22.5 tires will this length do well pulling 34ft trailer non-stacker...Thanks...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
imo too small of a engine to suit me . If you are on flat ground all the time it might be ok otherwise I would want something larger .

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cummins 300

No personal experience with one of these but looking at the specs - 325 HP and 610 Ft pounds of torque looks rather decent to me. Somewhere in the RV - cabinet or what - there should be a sticker telling you Gross Weight, Towing capacity, etc but I think a 34 ft tag would be okay unless you're constantly running straight up some serious hills.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Motor too small, I have a 8.3 330 HP @ 1,000 torq
I wouldn’t want anything less.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Too small.
Been there, done it.

Nothing but trouble, no power, no torque.
It's nothing more than a 5.9 Dodge truck engine from that time period.
Bought mine new. Burned up 3 turbos at a price of almost $10k each in 30,000 miles.
The turbos are a mongrel for these units and solely designed for this engine and MH.
I tow a 32 foot Aluminum trailer with 2 dragsters.

The problem is it is always to the floor from the time you leave the driveway to the time you return home, and forget about trying to merge with traffic, they don't accelerate (no torque).
Definitely makes for a "white knuckle" drive the whole trip.
Red Face

I put a Banks kit on it, it was a 'little' better but then always ran hot.

As was stated, nothing smaller than a 8.3.

Now, if you have a lot of time and can leave 2 days before the race and can come home when ever you want (slow driving) it could work for you. Unfortunately my wife and I work so we are leaving the last minute for the race and then after the race driving thru the night to get home for work the next day. It was a very frustrating and dangerous tow.

I will never buy another one.
Mad

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I have a 2004 Coachmen Cross Country 39' towing a 32' tag with one dragster... These guys are right - definitely the bare minimum. I don't tow crazy distances and most tows are relatively flat so I can live with it but it definitely struggles.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Just allow some extra time for the trip. You don't have to zoom up every hill at the speed limit.
I towed a 28' stacker with a 40' pusher with a 300HP Cat all over the country, 185,000 miles. 2nd gear with a 4 speed Allison at 25MPH on some hills in the west, aggravating but doable.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11004 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of DBA
posted Hide Post
Had a 33' Newmar with that motor towing a 28' with dragster so not a lot of weight and the motor just doesn't have the power/torque to get the job done.

Posts: 4 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Set your minimum requirements, when looking for a coach at the 325-330 level. I would suggest to shy away, as many have said herein, on the 300 or less.

I own a 330hp rv. 13 years towing with it.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So really can you have enough power??? LOL

Look it's about how much the MH and trailer weigh as it is about the motor's power in the MH! And also the areas your driving to and from, meaning flats, hills and F'in Hills!

I have a 32' Journey, 300HP 5.9, 6 speed with a trailer that's about 9000lbs or so and it tows fine! Been to Lebanon Valley (7 mile hill) and to Numidia with no issues. Drops to just under 60 up 7 mile hill and 50 on some areas going to Numidia. I am sure if you kept the same MH motor and tosses it in a 40 footer, things would be different!

If your towing a heavy trailer in hilly areas, then get a coach with a larger motor. But if your towing in flat areas a large percentage of the time and you find a good deal on a coach with a 300 HP 5.9, I would not shy away from it, especially with the smaller 32's & 34's!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Wow, I would have jumped for joy if mine went 50 on hills.

More like 20 - 25 with my foot thru the windshield and that's with hitting the bottom of the hill at 70 - 75.
Try merging with traffic at the top of a hill when you're going 20 and all the cars are going 70 and NOT letting you in.
It was bad when the big rigs were passing us and talking crap on the CB's to us.
White knuckle for sure.

Happiest day of my life was when we sold it.
Big Grin

As Al said, it depends on what you tow and where you go BUT
I will NEVER own a 5.9 300 again even if someone GIVES it to me.
Wink

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have had a few up to 500hp in a 45 footer and currently have a 36ft Monaco with a 8.3 330 Cummins. That little motor will not make you happy towing that trailer. I can't imagine 25mph going up a hill as someone said above. I have a 38ft Winnebago with a 330 Cummins for sale that gets it done $20,000 and drive away!

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
Wow, I would have jumped for joy if mine went 50 on hills.

More like 20 - 25 with my foot thru the windshield and that's with hitting the bottom of the hill at 70 - 75.
Try merging with traffic at the top of a hill when you're going 20 and all the cars are going 70 and NOT letting you in.
It was bad when the big rigs were passing us and talking crap on the CB's to us.
White knuckle for sure.

Happiest day of my life was when we sold it.
Big Grin

As Al said, it depends on what you tow and where you go BUT
I will NEVER own a 5.9 300 again even if someone GIVES it to me.
Wink

25 MPH Frank! Wow,, where you towing the state of Connecticut with you too! LOL!!!!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yeah Al, it wasn't pretty.

Every time I brought it into Freightliner for service/work they would download the computer and couldn't believe what they saw.
The throttle to the floor but the MPH 20 - 25 on the hills with the engine at max RPM for several minutes straight.
The crazy part was if I tried coming off the throttle just a little bit it would slow down even worse.

You know the hills I climb, nothing special.
The thing was terrible.
Mad

We test drove it and it seemed fine (BUT of course no trailer). Right from the beginning it was a turd.

New one is 8.9 500 Cummins tandem axle.
We'll see how that one does.
Big Grin

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Whomp you're hauling a carbon car with an aluminum block! You be just fine! Full Moon

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
Yeah Al, it wasn't pretty.

Every time I brought it into Freightliner for service/work they would download the computer and couldn't believe what they saw.
The throttle to the floor but the MPH 20 - 25 on the hills with the engine at max RPM for several minutes straight.
The crazy part was if I tried coming off the throttle just a little bit it would slow down even worse.

You know the hills I climb, nothing special.
The thing was terrible.
Mad

We test drove it and it seemed fine (BUT of course no trailer). Right from the beginning it was a turd.

New one is 8.9 500 Cummins tandem axle.
We'll see how that one does.
Big Grin

Frank

Not to make matters worse, a few year back Ricky has at least a 36 footer with a 275 HP 5 speed MH and that towed his 28' foot trailer with two dragsters in side with no issues also. You must have had a real lemon,,, which sucks, especially with all the work you had done on it!

When's your first trip? PDRA at VMP?

We would like to go but signed up for the Fling in Galot.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know I saw alot of folks with coaches like ours with no issues.
Oh well.

Shooting for VMP but the coach is still at Freightliner so we will have to see.
It's almost done.

You'll have fun at the Fling.
Big Grin

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As others stated it is in the basement for power and handling while towing a trailer. With that said I had a 2003 36' with a 5.9 and 5 speed Allison that I towed a 28' trailer with the usual accompaniment that goes with a typical bracket set up for 10 years. I even hauled 2 dragsters to the winter series in Florida from PA. I did the job but not very well. Especially in the handling department. Looking back I would suggest taking ones time and get a coach with at least 8.3 Cummins and one that is in the 30,000lbs arena. The heavy coach's handle so much better. They are out there you just need to be patient and do some research. jmho

Posts: 27 | Location: Pen Argyl, PA | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys been told by several to get the ISC to...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Thanks guys been told by several to get the ISC to...

Try to find a ISC or ISL that has the common rail fuel pump instead of the CAPS, 2003 and newer.

If you find something with a ISL make sure it don't fall in the serial numbers for bad wrist pins.

The newer ISX has problems with acid from egr eating #6 intake.

Why Do We Do This!

Posts: 14 | Location: United States | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post