DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Crack capped rods
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crack capped rods
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What is the consensus concerning crack cap rods with arp bolts? Will the bore in rod get shorter in the vertical? Or does the nature of the crack keep the horizontal joint from slipping? Thanks

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fasterat:
What is the consensus concerning crack cap rods with arp bolts? Will the bore in rod get shorter in the vertical? Or does the nature of the crack keep the horizontal joint from slipping? Thanks

With a standard off the stock bolts, a dial bore gauge can better answer this question Sir.

I'd have to see it to believe it, either way. Consensus wouldn't suffice.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
With the increased clamping force of an ARP fastener, you should always recheck bore size after replacing an existing bolt/stud with an ARP. This is true with rods, mains even cylinder bores.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4443 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i dont know.but why use that rod type

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Fasterat. Educate me on these rods. I may be mistaken but are these rods like the ones use in the Ford performance Mustang engine.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Slickster, yes. I despise these rods. I’m building a 6.1 Hemi for an acquaintance and those are the factory rods. He’s financially unable to purchase good rods at this time. The bearings have.001” too much clearance and I m wondering if arp bolts would close the gap any. With this design I wonder if it’s possible. Currently the clearance is .004” using bore gauges and in my humble opinion it’s too much for street engine.

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think the LS engines used cracked rod caps too don't they?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
By closing the gap, wouldn't it just be squeezing it out of round in this case? Possible to get different bearings?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
This topic raises some good questions. Not a fan of cracked cap rods, but I hadn't thought about resizing them until now. Is that even possible?
Resizing rods used to be highly recommended any time you replaced rod bolts, because of the pressing involved, distortion from interference fit, etc. I haven't always resized them, some rods measure out just fine after pressing in new bolts.
In this case, (too much clearance with cracked cap rods), I don't know what options there are, other than undersize bearings?

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I can just imagine the cost saving project meetings on this one....a great and stupid idea all wrapped up into one. Great for production and saving machining the cap ends.....dumb if you want to ever rebuild it. Pretty ingenious but not a hot rods best friend for sure.

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I took 16 Gen4 LS rods to the machine shop and a set of 8 ARP bolts. I wanted 1 good set of rods. Ended up with 10 that passed. 8 are in a motor that made 570hp the other 2 I gave to the machine shop and 6 in the trash. I got a set of Oliver Rods for the next motor.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 235 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Cracked cap rods were great in a 2-stroke outboard engine, but those were roller bearings and clearances don't mean much.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1601 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Clevite, makes an undersized bearing but as with everything else in today’s world there are none to be had. I guess I’ll stack this pile of parts next to the other 3 piles of engine builds awaiting parts for completion.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I can just imagine the cost saving project meetings on this one....a great and stupid idea all wrapped up into one. Great for production and saving machining the cap ends.....dumb if you want to ever rebuild it. Pretty ingenious but not a hot rods best friend for sure.

I was complaining to a friend of mine once about how the stock transmission pan on my dually had no drain plug - he replied "GM makes 10 million cars every year.... think about how much more money they make when they save $.50 here or $1 there".
I think about that all the time!!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:

I was complaining to a friend of mine once about how the stock transmission pan on my dually had no drain plug - he replied "GM makes 10 million cars every year.... think about how much more money they make when they save $.50 here or $1 there".
I think about that all the time!!

No doubt. When I worked in electrical automotive industry tenths of a cent on a terminal crimp was real money. Now take those 10 million vehicles and multiply by how many terminal crimps are made in total. It all adds up.

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Problem solved. Using my abrasive blast cabinet I found that using the right grit I could blast both of the horizontal joints of the cap and rod and after a cleaning when assembled the vertical measurement showed that it lost .0009” in diameter. The parting line was still almost invisible and it mated together like it did prior to my science experiment. So technically, crack cap rods can be resized.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If your goal is to recondition or re-size a "cracked cap" connecting rod, there are several bearing manufactures that offer an oversize bearing that allows you to hone the bore bigger so you just use the oversize o.d. bearing like a regular bearing. These bearings became available about 1 hour after cracked rods came out years ago.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4443 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Oh I’m aware of the undersized bearings. I’m also aware that not one of the parts wholesalers I have accounts with have any undersized bearings available. They barely have any thing available.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How about the dealer I know guys used to get 001 bearings from GM

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would also be concerned with blasting them I understand the idea but how can you be sure the consistency

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post