DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    3rd gen Firebird Camaro overhang issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd gen Firebird Camaro overhang issue
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted
I'm sure this has been brought up countless times, but my search skills are lacking. I started racing my father in laws 90 Firebird. Driving the stripe with it is totally different than my 67 Chevy II. I noticed his car will go 135 mph in the left lane and 139 in the right, but both were 5.13 so I didn't worry about it. In eliminations I was catching an opponent while I was in the left lane. I lifted but didn't brake and it broke out that round. I checked the incrementals and it was obvious the nose dropping cause the breakout. Any 3rd gen secrets to share???

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not a 3rd Gen, but my Malibu has stock a-arms, and ghetto coils with a coil cut out on it. It nose drops bad at the other end. What I've been doing is stay on the gas and ride the brake to avoid the nose drop. Over winter I'm planning on fixing it the right way with 90-10's or double adjustable shocks. But I need to get the money together for it.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
put a blocker plate on it so it always trips the finish line just measure at the nose and make it 3 3/4 inches above the track/or shop floor with your weight in the drivers seat most starting lines are 2 1/2 all down track blocks are 6 1/2

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 400 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
We welded 1" square tube blocks on the a-arm with about a 2" clearance. Makes it a bit rough on the return road but stops that front end drop.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I had same issue with my 95 Monte Carlo and I put stripe faker on it and have it at 3” I believe. I could get on the brakes and go 131 then next pass all out and only 122. Rock solid now.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a 79 Camaro and have a stripe taker on it set it about 4" off the ground, made an "L" bracket with a dzus fastner and a piece of lexan painted black can take it on and off in about 5 sec.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I believe IHRA and NHRA rules are at 3 1/2 minimum height thats why mine are at 3 3/4 have had mine checked at both type et finals

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 400 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I like the dzus fastener idea.

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Those Beaks are a Friend or a Foe depending on who is using them.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueTruck:

^^^Clearly failed English 101 in the 3rd grade Roll Eyes

Oh and my 4th gen breaks the beams with the same part of the car whether or not the pedal is on the floor, womping or FTBing. No beam breaker or shyt welded to the A arms. Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:

^^^Clearly failed English 101 in the 3rd grade Roll Eyes

Oh and my 4th gen breaks the beams with the same part of the car whether or not the pedal is on the floor, womping or FTBing. No beam breaker or shyt welded to the A arms. Didn't think of that

Ok Ed you got me. I really thought you were going to approve of my post. I guess I'm stupid.

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Can't fckin' read either - title of the post said

"3rd Gen"

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I can read just fine, worse on a 4th gen but you wouldn’t know, you’re clueless!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
On my gen 3 with a big block with koni single adj. struts I had to be carefull as hard brake would dive the front end and wolla break beam
with bumper. Got kinda used to it and dumped and then back on the gas. With the strange double adjustable valving struts it doesnt drop as hard as control over the bump side can be as stiff as you want. Double adjustable struts are the ticket but then again I compairing to a single adj. Koni that was designed 35 years ago. Santuff, Afco and Strange are good choices and at the time I would have prefered to get Afco but they were back ordered as were the Santuff.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I've raced two different 3rd Gen Camaros. They were set up different. One the nose would drop on the brakes. The other would break the beams with the nose either way. I was just trying to make a point that they can be used as a deadly weapon in the right hands. 3rd gen 4th gen doesn't matter. It depends on the setup and the driver.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
3rd gen 4th gen doesn't matter.

clueless statement

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I've seen it done with a 4th Gen Edward. I'm done arguing with you.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you can't argue FACTS and the TRUTH! You don't have a clue.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Both of my cars do this. I just make sure I cross under power.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That’s no way to race