DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    3rd gen Firebird Camaro overhang issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd gen Firebird Camaro overhang issue
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
On my gen 3 with a big block with koni single adj. struts I had to be carefull as hard brake would dive the front end and wolla break beam
with bumper. Got kinda used to it and dumped and then back on the gas. With the strange double adjustable valving struts it doesnt drop as hard as control over the bump side can be as stiff as you want. Double adjustable struts are the ticket but then again I compairing to a single adj. Koni that was designed 35 years ago. Santuff, Afco and Strange are good choices and at the time I would have prefered to get Afco but they were back ordered as were the Santuff.

The car I'm driving just got switched over to Strange double adjustable struts. So I could stiffen the compression to help this?
Also, I wasn't on the brakes at all. I just rolled out of the throttle.
I've got limiters for struts, just don't have them on right now.

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy Orlando Saturday night Pro et, using this to his advantage, 4th gen black Firebird.

I thought it was pretty cute.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Oh and my 4th gen breaks the beams with the same part of the car whether or not the pedal is on the floor, womping or FTBing. No beam breaker or shyt welded to the A arms. Didn't think of that

Ed, that's what I want this car to do. I'm here to learn.

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with utilizing a stripe taker have seen some very well done ones.

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Travel limiters to reduce the amount the front end rises?

How about hitting the brakes at the stripe during time trials to run a quicker ET then figure out your dial in. If you hit the brakes at the stripe, you shouldn't red light.

Never had that problem. I run flat out right to the stripe unless my opponent is way behind me and can't catch up in time.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1350 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
novaX522 yes stiffing the bump will take care of the dive. I got uesd to the front end drop like I said eailier and just raced that way for a while. Dumped a little early and back on the gas if I had room or thought I was getting there to far ahead of the other lane. But as old age catching up to me kinda thought that all the front end travel not really controlled like I thought it should be might not be a good idea so on went the double adjustable route. Stiffen the bump and let us know how that works for you. If you look at 1320racers car when it comes down from the wheelie its one motion and not two as when the wheels land back on the ground. They just settle and thats due to the correct springs,shocks,and front end set up that also keeps it from diving hard when its on the brakes. My gen 3 is now my daughters car and we are just finishing it up with a small block so the front springs will be changed also.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
SLICKSTER...KNOWS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11fjdJ2_Q0

rd 1 @ 8.08:45
rd 2 @ 8.49:20
rd 3 @ 9.23:00
semi @ 9.49:20
Final @ 10.13:05

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11fjdJ2_Q0

rd 1 @ 8.08:45
rd 2 @ 8.49:20
rd 3 @ 9.23:00
semi @ 9.49:20
Final @ 10.13:05

Congrats on the $5k win Kyle and Ed. I think your switch to bias tires was a wise choice.

Posts: 2440 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I had been a radial slick guy for nearly 20 years on 2 cars but the Bird is Kyle's now and he wants to run bias slicks.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
I'll try stiffening the compression next time I race this car. Thanks for the info!

Rob Livingston

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Set the ride height near level, tighten the compression to full unless you have or plan to buy Afco struts with the bnc valving.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed

Rob Livingston

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Set the ride height near level, tighten the compression to full unless you have or plan to buy Afco struts with the bnc valving.

Ed, are you relying on bump stops on your coilovers at all to limit travel or just controlling the nose with shock valving and ride height?

Posts: 27 | Location: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ride height and shock valving