DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Correct circulation on block mounted water pump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct circulation on block mounted water pump
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted
Is it best to put the water in at pump level or at top of an engine? Application is a dragster with a rear mounted radiator.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Always better on top. You running an extended neck?. Certain manifold i put in a pet****. Like out of a radiator. Screw it into the crossover on a 598. Fill and basically bleed all the air right out..Same with a 632 that was in an altered with a lay down radiator in the front. No air.Case in point. Like on the earlier Detroit engines. they placed the same bleed valves in the upper radiator hose pipe.Crack the valve while filling the radiator. Reason being prevents a hot block condition while trying to burp it.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Best place to fill any coolant system is on the low pressure side of the pump. This is why you see most factory radiators have the filler neck on the tank opposite the upper radiator hose.

It is best to use an expansion tank(plumbed properly) or use the Meziere 200 series pump.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Always better on top. You running an extended neck?. Certain manifold i put in a pet****. Like out of a radiator. Screw it into the crossover on a 598. Fill and basically bleed all the air right out..Same with a 632 that was in an altered with a lay down radiator in the front. No air.Case in point. Like on the earlier Detroit engines. they placed the same bleed valves in the upper radiator hose pipe.Crack the valve while filling the radiator. Reason being prevents a hot block condition while trying to burp it.

When I built my new car last year, i took the bypasses from the back of the intake to the front of the intake off. Since doing that, i have noticed that the engine has hot spots and temperature climbs with water pump on, turn the water pump off and it wont gain anything. I am going to put my bypasses back on this winter, but wasnt sure if i should reverse my water pump or leave it the way it has always been.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
The reason you don't see any tempature gain with the pump off is you are not moving any water past it to see a change. The only way to get a accurate temp reading is with the water pump on.

Reversing the pump will only reduce the amount of water it flows!

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info 1leg. I will just put my by passes back on this winter.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I found with my car to put a pet**** in the high point of the radiator. To fill it I open the pet**** until water comes out then close it and continue to fill. I do use bypass hoses. I also jack the front of the car up so that the fill is the highest point.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I am not having an air pocket issue. I am noticing hot spots, verified with a infrar gun. I feel that the water in the back of the engine is getting stagnant because its not really getting a chance to circulate properly because no where for it to go. That is why i want to put the bypass hoses back on from back of intake, to the front of intake.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Sure you are.
Air, air makes steam, steam does not move nor does it cool. The only reason lines go to the back is to remove air pockets. In reality the biggest line you need is a #6.
Fill from the highest point and it will take about a 1/2 hr with the pump running and adding water to replace the air for the air to be purged.
High points, like ls have steam lines, old pro heads had steam lines, ever head has potential air pockets.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I added house radiator key vents to the high points on my rear radiator dragster. It works best to fill it with the pump off and bleed the air out.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
Sure you are.
Air, air makes steam, steam does not move nor does it cool. The only reason lines go to the back is to remove air pockets. In reality the biggest line you need is a #6.
Fill from the highest point and it will take about a 1/2 hr with the pump running and adding water to replace the air for the air to be purged.
High points, like ls have steam lines, old pro heads had steam lines, ever head has potential air pockets.

I know i am getting the air out of the system when filling, water runs quietly, but that doesnt mean its not building steam. Good point Bad News.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A trick I used to fill for guys that are having trouble getting air out use an old radiator cap and put a small tie wrap around the internal vacuum valve to hold it open then with it on use a hand vacuum pump on the vent hose to pull air out.

Posts: 181 | Location: COLUMBUS | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post