DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trailer Conversions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Conversions
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hey Guys
This ****ty State of Mass where I live is now making it illegal to use a dually and pull a 32 foot tri axle without getting a Class A license.
The way around this is to convert the race trailer to a "camper" class and add a bath and bed. With a camper trailer plate I can tow the same rig I have been hauling for years through these ****ty northeast states with the same license I have towed with since 1984!
Anyone have a line on any trailer conversion companies east of the Mississippi ? Thanks as always for the suggestions.

Posts: 24 | Location: PEABODY, MASS | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How about a fold down bed and a bucket? Good enough?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
There is a guy here in NC who does nothing but conversions.Mostly for horse people and he does some awesome stuff.Maybe little far for you and he is not cheap.

Why not just do it your self. Does it have to be full functioning camper? Its like law use to be and still maybe here.If it has toilet and shower it was motorhome,even if Peter Built it.LOL
You may get by with fold down bed and a toilet bolted into corner with curtain around it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
JIMCO is name of business took me cpl minutes to remember it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That's some BS for sure. Is it length of the trailer or the gvw of the trailer that they are requiring the class A?

Posts: 73 | Location: Lake Worth Fl. | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Over all weight class in this state gets you screwed. Dually plus tri axle combined is one problem AND if you have a one ton plus 6 wheels,dually, automatic commercial and new license class. Maine trailer plates an old trick up this way is now illegal on trailers .
Thank you for the lead. I wanna do it right so money is not as much an issue as principle. I will check them out. North Carolina I know well after serving in USMC .
Thanks guys,

Posts: 24 | Location: PEABODY, MASS | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It would be a lot easier and cheaper I think to just get the class a... in Texas anyway

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If the FEDS would get off their a**es and standardize the laws, one thing they could do is the law like TX and a few others.

Class A NON-CDL.

So simple. It makes the hobby/RV/racer/horsey people get the proper license, but still not have to comply with all the CDL laws, like medical card, log books, etc.

Sorry, did not mean to bring logic to the table.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
TOP1320

Is there a listing of minimum requirements to qualify as an RV?

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
What amazes me is that a dually or even a single wheel one-ton truck and trailer you need a CDL due to weight BUT an RV is exempt.
Connecticut is the same way.
AS long as it is an RV towing "anything" you are exempt.
An RV CDL doesn't even exist in Connecticut and BOY does the CT DOT get pis sed when you ask about one.

I guess they figure some 85 year old guy driving a 45 foot 40,000 pound vehicle towing a 2 and a half ton vehicle is NO ISSUE.
Holy Moly

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
The federal rule has always been that if the trailer has a GVWR over 10,000 lbs, you need a Class A to tow it. Any tri-axle race trailer is going to be over that limit.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
The federal rule has always been that if the trailer has a GVWR over 10,000 lbs, you need a Class A to tow it. Any tri-axle race trailer is going to be over that limit.

In IL, that is the designation for a CDL. Pretty much never enforced and rarely understood. There is a serious need for standardization.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you left out the word "commercial".....

I took a very long way around getting my Class A CDL, but it cost me about $1K total for physical, birth certificate, tests, etc. Just something to think about.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:

I took a very long way around getting my Class A CDL, but it cost me about $1K total for physical, birth certificate, tests, etc. Just something to think about.

I guess I did leave out 'license' as in 'Class A license' to tow, but it does not need to be a Commercial license if your state offers a non-commercial Class A license. But the trailer being rated over 10,000 lbs puts you in Class A license territory at the Federal level, standard in all states.

As Bucky stated, it is rarely enforced with a pickup but that doesn't mean the law is new.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I do know this. The guys next to me with their TAD
operation. On their 48', they converted to RV status. Added pluming/shower/sink/tanks/small fridge/stove.They followed the DOT guide lines. Saved on the plates also. He would have had a TK plate at their weight. $ 722.00 a year.. I don't know what status he was on the DL.He was more concerned on the plate cost. All being pulled by their Ford dually.With a D plate. A couple years ago, the state nailed 4 guys with their trailers after they finished the late model dirt series Under rated plate/license deal. they even got some guys with the bigger boats due to the 10K rule.Found this out from the guy at the test lanes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:

I guess I did leave out 'license' as in 'Class A license' to tow, but it does not need to be a Commercial license if your state offers a non-commercial Class A license. But the trailer being rated over 10,000 lbs puts you in Class A license territory at the Federal level, standard in all states.

As Bucky stated, it is rarely enforced with a pickup but that doesn't mean the law is new.

Everything I have read from the FMCSA and my home state references "COMMERCIAL trailers over 10001#s needing class A CDL" I realize there are states like Texas that offer non commercial licenses, but most states don't, and also don't require a CDL for non commercial trailers over 10001#'s. Proving your non commercial is a whole other issue. If you follow non commercial guidance from FMCSA you should win in court, probably not on the side of the road though.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The way it reads in Illinois.

Class C — Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of more than 16,000 pounds, but less than
26,001 pounds or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Also
allows for operation of Class D vehicles.

In other words, all depends on the issuing LE official on comprehension and if he's having a bad day.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have two 30ft trailers, one is a Gooseneck with 2 axles, the other is a TAG with 3 axles. The Goose weighs-in at 12K fully loaded, the TAG is up to almost 11K now that I put a golf cart in it.

I don't have any kind of special license here in NJ, don't think any of my friends do either, but I don't know what MD, PA, or NY require..........

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:

I have two 30ft trailers, one is a Gooseneck with 2 axles, the other is a TAG with 3 axles. The Goose weighs-in at 12K fully loaded, the TAG is up to almost 11K now that I put a golf cart in it.

I don't have any kind of special license here in NJ, don't think any of my friends do either, but I don't know what MD, PA, or NY require..........

It doesn't matter what it weighs; what matters is the combined rating of the axles.

If you have 3 6K axles, that's 18,000 lbs right there. Any truck that will pull that trailer is going to have it's own GVWR that will put you over the 26,000 lb limit.

Tony Leonard

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
The way it reads in Illinois.

Class C — Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of more than 16,000 pounds, but less than
26,001 pounds or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Also
allows for operation of Class D vehicles.

In other words, all depends on the issuing LE official on comprehension and if he's having a bad day.

I upgraded my regular licence for weight. Non cdl. But the way I read it, there was no getting around the 10k lb towing deal for cdl.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo