DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dyno numbers with Terminator
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dyno numbers with Terminator
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted
Finally got my 540 mopar on the dyno. With a 2100 Terminator it picked up 29 hp over my 1050 Alky carb. The carb was not really doing its job so I am going with really only about 15 hp over a good carb. I have heard people say not to pay attention to the dyno numbers because the terminator will show up on the track. Any thoughts?

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What was the total HP it made now?

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
840hp 112 gas (1050), 850hp w/ 1050 alky carb, 879hp w/ terminator, all @ 7000rpm

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My 565 ran within .02 and maybe 1 mph from a 2100 Terminator to a gas 1050 carb

The carb is an out of the box Quickfuel and I still run it.

The Terminator would have been maybe a tenth quicker but I was already to fast and was not pushing it to be as fast as possible.

I had no Adv Et license and was in the 7.40’s and had to slow it down any way I could at the time. I added weight and shifted very low rpm/time

The injection went 7.45 and the carb went 7.47

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
made over 50 more hp with a terminator than a gas carb.

but... the gas carb out-ran the terminator on the track

we tried a lot of different setups for the terminator and had ran injection for over a decade, switched to the same gas carb that made less horsepower on the dyno and have never once changed the setup on that carb as it outran the terminator out of the box

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom H:
840hp 112 gas (1050), 850hp w/ 1050 alky carb, 879hp w/ terminator, all @ 7000rpm

What was the difference (if any) in 1050 gas verses 1050 alky ET incrementals on the track?

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
made over 50 more hp with a terminator than a gas carb.

but... the gas carb out-ran the terminator on the track

we tried a lot of different setups for the terminator and had ran injection for over a decade, switched to the same gas carb that made less horsepower on the dyno and have never once changed the setup on that carb as it outran the terminator out of the box

That is interesting and I wonder why it is. Usually dyno results are a good indicator of performance at the track.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
quote:
What was the difference (if any) in 1050 gas verses 1050 alky ET incrementals on the track?

This engine is new, so no et's yet.

The same two carb's on my 520 were 40 hp better on Alky and from 8.50's to 8-teens at the track. That engine was 800hp with the alky carb. The 520 was also in my Satellite and was 10.50's to 10-teens on alky.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My Terminator tune up was 6 pill sizes lean from where the dyno said it needed to be (I had to change from a 78 pill to a 72) which made it .06 faster in the 1/4. Injected Alky, when tuned properly, makes much more torque and this relates to quicker numbers down low which carries all the way down track whereas Gas will out mph the alky on the big end usually by about 2 mph, the pump at that rpm is pushing way more fuel than the heads can flow air. If you tune your injected alky for the perfect finishline O2 numbers you'll be lean down low where your want it's capabilities the most. I've found the barrell valve has a lot to do with 60' numbers, it needs to be fatter than what a typical leakdown number is. I would set mine idling in park at 1500 rpm until my temp would rise 1 degree every 30seconds, I'd lock it down and then if my idle needed to be raised or lowered I'd open or close the REAR throttle blades by adjusting the rear turnbuckle, this kept the barrel valve setting from moving and chasing it's setting everytime you had to adjust your idle. And NEVER give alky too much timing, it's very easy to get detonation that you won't hear or feel but you'll have inconsistent et's because it never detonates the same amount each run, anything over 32 is trouble.

Posts: 163 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: March 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ Ron, do you know what Lambda #s you were recording on the Dyno with this MFI?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Never used Lamda, easier for me to use the gas scale since it was all I ever used. Sorry but I can't remember what it read on the dyno. Maybe I'll dig up a racepak graph and post it when I get time. Also, don't forget, the ram air effect going 190 in a dragster with the scoop higher than anything surely packs more air in than sitting still on a dyno, but a door car with it's unaerodynamic front end going 1/8th mile would have nowhere near the change I seen from dyno to track numbers.

Posts: 163 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: March 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ Good information, Thanks

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
FWIW Dyno numbers were basically the same between 38 and 42 degrees.The smallest pill we ran was an 82. Both timing and pills showed very little hp difference. I am still undecided on whether i am even going to use it.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'm considering going from dual dominators to dual terminators on my junk. $19.30 a gallon for race gas is just too much. Alky is less than half the cost even when taking into account the amount of fuel used. Liking the idea of the cooling effect too, my stuff gets warm quick now.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
38* - 42* on alky injected? I keep hearing no more than 34* from many and wonder why when I see posts like yours.

Mine is sbc mfi and soon to go on a dyno. I look at threads [URL= https://www.yellowbullet.com/f...ighlight=407sbc]LIKE THIS[/URL] and think unless one tries going in that direction you’ll never know. Look at the heat range of plug they are using.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
With an alky carb on 3 different motors, the Timing has always been best at 37 degrees, these are BBM so i am sure results will very. This was the first injection test, but carb and injection liked the same timing. Mine have never seen a difference from plug heat ranges.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Like any other piece of the puzzle timing is just part of the combo.No set number. I normally start at 32* and step up 2* at a time till there is no gain. Normally end up going down a cpl as I work thru main jet doing same. If its some one else's I will suggest backing up 2* from quickest,just to be on safe side. Funny thing almost nobody wants to back it off quickest run.LOL Most end up 36 to 40 degrees.IMO 40 is pushing it.

Comment earlier about changing idle w/o messing up BV.I do similar with hat set ups but use plugs under hat.One 1/8 pipe out is roughly 200 to 250 rpm at idle.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I'm considering going from dual dominators to dual terminators on my junk. $19.30 a gallon for race gas is just too much. Alky is less than half the cost even when taking into account the amount of fuel used. Liking the idea of the cooling effect too, my stuff gets warm quick now.

What kind of gas are you running that cost that much?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
^^^^^^^
38* - 42* on alky injected? I keep hearing no more than 34* from many and wonder why when I see posts like yours.

Mine is sbc mfi and soon to go on a dyno. I look at threads [URL= https://www.yellowbullet.com/f...ighlight=407sbc]LIKE THIS[/URL] and think unless one tries going in that direction you’ll never know. Look at the heat range of plug they are using.

When I ran my 565 with a Rons Terminator I ran 34*. Once I Spent a whole TnT day making timing runs from 28-36* and ran best a 34* Left it there for 4 years

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
What kind of gas are you running that cost that much?

Renegade Pro 116. Have to get it from a petroleum supply company here. Mark Whitner (jmarkaudio) found me better pricing in Orlando, but I still can't justify spending $600-800 a barrel for fuel when I'm not running that much. Yeah, new fuel system will set me back close to $4k, but I can sell my carbs and some other stuff as well as my bonus next year, and that will cover it. I have some other stuff I can sell too. With the lower cost of the fuel, I can race more and recoup a lot of that as well.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post