DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shogun Kool Kan trans cooler
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shogun Kool Kan trans cooler
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I understand that Shogun is no longer in business, but I wonder if anyone has one for sale... new or used.

Posts: 6 | Location: Baxley, Ga. | Registered: April 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ask around on Facebook, Im sure somebody has one laying around? Im not sure how much "cooling" they actually did or do, I know they restrict the flow and allow 2-3 more quarts of fluid in the system. I rather have a good cooler and a fan on the cooler.

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Shane:
Ask around on Facebook, Im sure somebody has one laying around? Im not sure how much "cooling" they actually did or do, I know they restrict the flow and allow 2-3 more quarts of fluid in the system. I rather have a good cooler and a fan on the cooler.
X2 and if you break a transmission all that metal gets in that damn thing....useless...IMO

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Thurston
posted Hide Post
Have one sitting on the self. PM me for contact info.

Posts: 68 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you guy's really know how it is made or how it works, but..

First it does not restrict flow, and second it works by allowing a larger amount
of fluid to be held in the canister and with the fins around it act as a heat sink.
It also has a drain in the bottom to allow you to clean it and change the fluid when needed.
The instructions that came with it recommended using -8 lines as they were less restrictive than
the normally -6 used. Also, the held more fluid which was an added plus.

There is no check valve nor filters in it, so that is not a restriction.

Think about this, if it takes X amount of time to heat 6 quarts of fluid,
how much more time does it take to heat an additional 4 quarts? Not saying it holds 4 quarts as I can't remember.

The B&M also had something similar. Not sure how it worked or if it worked the same way.

Just splainin..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
Not sure if you guy's really know how it is made or how it works, but..

First it does not restrict flow, and second it works by allowing a larger amount
of fluid to be held in the canister and with the fins around it act as a heat sink.
It also has a drain in the bottom to allow you to clean it and change the fluid when needed.
The instructions that came with it recommended using -8 lines as they were less restrictive than
the normally -6 used. Also, the held more fluid which was an added plus.

There is no check valve nor filters in it, so that is not a restriction.

Think about this, if it takes X amount of time to heat 6 quarts of fluid,
how much more time does it take to heat an additional 4 quarts? Not saying it holds 4 quarts as I can't remember.

The B&M also had something similar. Not sure how it worked or if it worked the same way.

Just splainin..

Dave

Oh I get all that. But it does little to cool that fluid.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just to add to the explanation posted above, the reason the Kool Kan works so good is that the fins that are on the outside are mirrored on the inside. The heat sinks on the inside transfer the heat to the fins on the outside.
When I would shoot the temp Gun at the cooler about 20 or 30 minutes after a pass, the cooler would usually be 20-25 degrees cooler than the trans case. Plus the fact that it holds over 4 quarts of ATF helps a lot. I also use nothing but Amsoil ATF. Bill Shoquist (the guy that founded Shogun Ind.) said that it was shown by different tests to hold up to the highest temps without breaking down.

Posts: 6 | Location: Baxley, Ga. | Registered: April 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I run one for quite some time...never again an yes I know how they work...if you break a transmission during a race you better have a way to bypass it quick if your in a hurry...as far as temps I see know difference...it may take a little longer to get hot but when it does there is no difference....useless...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you are having trans temp issues, you need to cool the fluid down between rounds and nothing works better than the Jones Trans Pump...

http://jonestransmissionpumps.com/

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I'll jump on the pile and say that I've had one since 2006, but if I were building a new car today I would not seek one out. I'd just use a standard trans cooler, preferably one with a fan.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I ran one for years and they worked fine. As many have said it was always a concern for cleaning. Mine had a drain on the bottom to clean out, but that takes time if you are at the track.

We now use the Jones circulation system and won't look back. These really work well to cool between rounds as said.

If you are still wanting one of the "cool cans" Abruzzi has them in stock.

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I'll jump on the pile and say that I've had one since 2006, but if I were building a new car today I would not seek one out. I'd just use a standard trans cooler, preferably one with a fan.

This x1000... Have a cooler with a fan and built in thermo switch. trans temps stay rock steady at about 180 all day long even hot lapping.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I wasn't promoting the Shogun or the B&M systems, just explaining the lack of restrictions and some of the principles behind it..
I likely wouldn't use one again. As far as cleaning at the track, not going to clean as well as in the shop, but I wouldn't get real hyped up about it as the fluid has to go through the tranny filter again anyway. Clean and flush as you would any other, and believe me you can't get it all out of any of them with out spending some time..

The Jones system is OK as far as it goes and is one step above a shogun or any cooler even with a fan. If you want to get serious about tranny cooling I'd go with a cooler that plugs in to the tranny and circulates all of the fluid to include through the converter..

If you want to get serious and have the coin..

http://aaronsipple.com/859-661-5002-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

https://www.prolineracing.net/...-transmission-cooler

https://www.pyromateracing.com/transmission-cooler

And just for Ed, which surprised me he didn't promote..
http://www.atiracing.com/produ...transparts/scs30.htm

Check out Pyromaterracing.com and they show the valve body mods required to use theirs. You could build your own for something around 500.00.

My .02..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had them on various cars over the years, never had any issues, as good as most trans, conv and coolers are today, just dont see the benefit for an extra item on the car.

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
WELD A BUNG IN TOP OF UNIT, VERY EASY TO CLEAN.

Posts: 70 | Location: CINCINNATI OHIO | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WILLIAM HAMILTON:
WELD A BUNG IN TOP OF UNIT, VERY EASY TO CLEAN.
Big Grin