DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Front shocks recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front shocks recommendation
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 71 Chevelle
posted
Looking for some guidance on which to select. Obviously DA will give you more tuning capability. What do u guys recommend? Not sure how much modifications coil-overs would take so i was just looking at shocks using stock spring. Car currently has Lakewood 90/10’s. Stock front suspension, 71 chevelle with SBC. Car runs 10.5x in really good air, but mainly 10.6x - 10.7x depending on weather. 60’ are around 1.42-1.48. 26”Hoosier up front 30x10.5 out back with ladder bar and SA coil overs. Full interior car prob weighs 3400lbs. Right now it has good transfer and will pick fronts up about 6” or so. Trying to keep budget in mind as well.
Appreciate any help from the board.

Joe McBride

Posts: 5 | Location: Wilm., DE | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have Afco 3840fbnc on my 69 Camaro that work great . Viking makes some good double adjustable shocks too.

Posts: 22 | Location: trenton ohio | Registered: July 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I switched from QA1 double adjustable to Afco Double adjustable on my 72 Nova and picked up .04 in the 60. I love my Afco's.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My recommendation would be the AFCO front shocks for a stock style front end. As far as adjustability and performance you cant beat them in that price range. They have different valving setups depending on how the car works. Let me know if I can help you out as I am an AFCO dealer.

Thanks,
Shane Sweigart
484-529-3501
Competitive Suspension

Posts: 21 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CLARMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
I switched from QA1 double adjustable to Afco Double adjustable on my 72 Nova and picked up .04 in the 60. I love my Afco's.

Just like the OP, I am looking to put DAs in the front of my 80 Malibu. I have the QA1 DA shocks in the rear and they work great. I was going to get QA1 for the fronts too.
What didn't you like about them? Is it a stock style front end in your car?

Posts: 12 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have QA1 DA coilovers on the front of my stock-type Nova with tubular control arms. They work fine but I'm under no illusion that they are the best shock out there.

The car hooks great, but it bounces quite a bit when the front end comes down.

If I could go back in time (and I suppose I could still do this), I'd put the trick bushings in the stock control arms along with Santhuff shocks and full-length springs.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLARMO:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:

Just like the OP, I am looking to put DAs in the front of my 80 Malibu. I have the QA1 DA shocks in the rear and they work great. I was going to get QA1 for the fronts too.
What didn't you like about them? Is it a stock style front end in your car?

I had no problems or complaints with the QA1's on my stock style front end. Doubles on the front and singles on the back.

We were at PRI and went to dinner with AFCO (we were a dealer for both brands) Afco sent me front and rear shocks to bolt on and try out (same double on front, single rears). I adjusted them the same and picked up in the 60 ft. Went from 1.44 to 1.40 with no other changes.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of blasttime
posted Hide Post
60'' Et , MPH would help justify cost. Stay with factory control arms just saying

Posts: 16 | Location: canada | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post