DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Stainless Header cleanup ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Header cleanup ???
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a set of Stainless headers for my dragster and they are in NEED of a GOOD cleaning,what is the BEST thing everyone is using ?? Dirty Stainless jjj

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
chroming

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Mothers polish and a power ball. I have some cleaner polish at the shop for semi fuel tanks. I have to get the name. CRS. Most truck parts houses carry it.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks recommend White Diamond but I had really good luck with Gord’s Metal Polish.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjj:
I have a set of Stainless headers for my dragster and they are in NEED of a GOOD cleaning,what is the BEST thing everyone is using ?? Dirty Stainless jjj

Do you know if they are made from polished SS or just SS tube?

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
Clean them first with “The Works” toilet bowl cleaner and then shine them up with your favorite metal polish.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
Like Rodney said, use the works toilet bowl cleaner. Then I polish them with white diamonds and a air polisher.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for info,(266 I dont know if polished or tube) will get some works toilet bowl cleaner and polish and go to work!!
Thanks again

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Toilet bowl cleaner is the bomb, you need one with i think it's hydrochloric acid. Wipe on, rinse off. No quicker easier process ive ever tried.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others about toilet bowl cleaner for cleaning. Harbor Freight sells a small polishing kit. I like the cone shape to chuck up in a drill and polish it out with White Diamond. They look like chrome! But the yellow coloring will always come back after a few runs.

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
The TB cleaner works pretty good. Just be careful not the get it on anything else while your working. Very corrosive stuff

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:
Clean them first with “The Works” toilet bowl cleaner and then shine them up with your favorite metal polish.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much again everyone. jjj

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MorgretNation:
The TB cleaner works pretty good. Just be careful not the get it on anything else while your working.
/QUOTE]

especially your concrete floor ...

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
I had a microfiber towel i used. I laid the towel on a piece of aluminum Diamond plate. The next day it oxidized & stained the diamond plate.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MorgretNation:
The TB cleaner works pretty good. Just be careful not the get it on anything else while your working.
/QUOTE]

especially your concrete floor ...

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Long term exposure of stainless to chlorides can induce chloride stress corrosion cracking. However, polishing is certainly not long term exposure. We have stainless tanks at work that had some batches go through and sit there for a few days with a fairly low ph, probably from either our raw material or HCL. The tiny cracks start and those can be the eventual death of a tank.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post