Notify
Tools

trailer floor
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted
2 part question:

1.) I'm looking to replace the wood floor in my 28' enclosed. Can I just use a PT 3/4" plywood or do trailer manufacturers use something different?

2.) Anyone have any info on Floor Source and Supply in Mishawaka, IN? They have the small coin rubber floor at $1.99/sq. ft. It appears to be the same stuff used by the big trailer manufacturers but I can't confirm.

Thanks

Posts: 187 | Location: IL | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I replaced the wood on my ramp door on my old Haulmark with pressure treated since it appeared that they used untreated plywood at the factory and then found out that many floor glues & paints wont stick to pressure treated wood. Something to consider.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 214 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
I thought my last trailer used OSB flooring plywood,it is a little stronger.

Ken

Posts: 267 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about that...PT wood is pretty wet...thanks for the reply

Posts: 187 | Location: IL | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
As a house builder I would not use osb. It is stronger and ther glue makes it resist water,for a while. Not long term.Now thee are different grades and some better because more or better glue.

I looked at some new trailers cpl days ago and they had bare plywood floors did not apear to have any treatment. Still going aluminum floor myself.

What you need is the plywood that's treated same as floor in my 69 panel.Original floor not rotten any where. Now as to what its treated with I can not say but the fact its almost 50 years old and rest of truck has been repaired or need it is amazing. If anyone knows what they used back then please let me know.

http://www.schooledbyscotty.com/
Only the stupid know too much to learn something new.
Chris McBride

deplorables saving america one vote at a time

Posts: 1052 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
posted Hide Post
OSB could be some regret eventually. I replaced one board and used marine grade. That stuff is plenty expensive. Doing the entire trailer could get spendy.

Does your party represent personal responsibility?
Bill of non rights: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/law/non-rights.htm

Posts: 3509 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
instead of coin floor consider carpet squares I have done 3 trailers and everyone loves them

Posts: 10 | Location: Odessa,Texas | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you are replacing all of the wood and doing coin flooring, you may be spending enough to justify spending a bit more and going to an aluminum floor. Its worth checking into if you can find the materials locally.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 214 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
if you are going to replace the flooring I would use Advantech flooring, the resins do not absorb water. I have made some bee hives out of that stuff and they sit out in the weather 24/7 and look the same as the day I put them out there. A word of caution, the Advantech wood is heavy, really really heavy.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1139 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you are going to replace the flooring I would use Advantech flooring, the resins do not absorb water. I have made some bee hives out of that stuff and they sit out in the weather 24/7 and look the same as the day I put them out there. A word of caution, the Advantech wood is heavy, really really heavy.

That is what my 2011 came with. Guy I bought it from was using it for snowmobiles. So I'm guessing it saw a lot of wet. It shows no signs of delamination or rot. Actually, I would bet it lasts longer than the rest of the trailer.

Posts: 221 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: October 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
DryMax Cargo Panels OSB designed for enclosed trailers.

Posts: 163 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Instead of using the coin floor, I looked at Ryan Smiths trailer at Indy I believe and he has a black diamond plate flooring that I think was plastic or rubber but was very nice looking.

Posts: 78 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've replaced the floor in my 28', it's a lot of work! I called trailer manufacturers and their upgrade is to go to Advantek tongue and groove floor. It's waterproof and very strong and costs less but.... It is tongue and groove, if you place the sheets the way the original floor went you will come up short at a crossmember since they aren't 4x8 because of the tongue and groove. Lay it out BEFORE you start screwing it down.
before installing we painted it on both sides with Glidden porch paint and then painted the floor when it was down with the porch paint that was non slip. I used the Advantek on the back door also.
I don't know how your screws are but mine were badly rusted and stripped out. I took a holesaw without the drill bit in the middle and cut around the screws. Then you can lift the panel off, break off the plug around the screw and use a visegrip to remove the screw.
Coin floor will stick to the slicks and wrinkle and rip if you don't put aluminum plated for the tires.

Posts: 455 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
I covered the whole floor in .060 aluminium sheet
It has worked fine for over 10 years. Little bit of Liquid nails and countersunk stainless screws into the plywood. It took 6 sheets and 2 days.
Diamond plate sux for sliding under the car and leaves the dimples in the tires. Trans fluid,oil,gas,lacquer thinner does not affect it. Slicks leave some rubber after a couple of years but it cleans off with thinner.

Posts: 715 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
WOW!! smooth aluminum sheet? Do you hold break dance competition when it rains? I had a friend that had a ramp door covered in smooth aluminum. It was a show if it sprinkled a little. Couldn't load the car either as it wouldn't drive up the ramp if the tires were wet. I'll agree with kneeling on diamond plate which is why you just make strips where the tires sit.

Posts: 455 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever try spray on bedliner?

Walt

Posts: 50 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Anybody have a good source for good quality floor covering? I need to replace my vinyl. I don't know what is the best to use or where to get it. Thanks for any help

Posts: 12 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My 28' trailer came with marine grade 3/4" plywood, with rubber coin on top. So far the rubber coin has held up very well, have not had any trouble with rubber from slicks, or any problem with the occasional drip of oil-trans fluid-etc. Lot less slippery than the aluminum floors and tougher than the vinyl floors I've had.

Posts: 105 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about wood stuff, but my dad is a builder and when I replaced a couple sheets of plywood in my new trailer he said marine grade would be the best, but it was out of my budget. I used standard plywood with an outdoor rating. Been fine so far. I also covered it all with aluminum treadplate.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted Hide Post
$72 for a sheet of marine grade plywood locally

I'll have more in the subfloor than the actual rubber

I appreciate all of the responses so far. At this point i'm still undecided as to what I'm going to do.