DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rv Coach Batteries?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rv Coach Batteries?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
What's everyone running. Google search for best coach batteries comes up with a million different answers from dozens of forums.

Looking for typical big RV with an inverter and all the normal usage for a racing operation.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Cmichael
posted Hide Post
A good friend switched his to blue top Optima's. He has had good success so far.

Wettstien Auto and Welding
Autometer

Posts: 155 | Location: Iola,KS | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
If you have room for 4, the super Heavy 6 volt batteries wired for 12 volts work best

I don't recall the brand but there are number of really heavy, very good batteries....

We have used Interstates as well as some others. I can't recall the brand name of the other.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
4-6 volt installed in series/parallel. Best I think are Trojan T-105 or Deka

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:
4-6 volt installed in series/parallel. Best I think are Trojan T-105 or Deka

Yes those are the brand I could not recall the name

Trojan....6 volts Very heavy with a
lot of lead plates....

Very easy to wire up for 12 volts

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I tried the 6 volts as opposed to the 12 volts in my LQ trailer. No difference in battery life for me. I went back to deep cycle 12 volts. YMMV

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a Monaco Diesel Pusher and have had several different brands before this one. Discovered years ago that Wal Mart batteries were made by the same company that made Interstate so I put them in. I have changed them after 5 years and have yet to have a problem with them. You can spend more but for me if they are trouble free I can spend the extra money on something else. Mine has 3. Oh, they are the same size as the one in my Mercedes.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of DBA
posted Hide Post
Make sure that you check battery water level a couple of times a season, they will lose water over time. Topping them up will add considerable life.If you live in a cold climate top them up before you store for the winter and make sure they are fully charges. Won’t freeze. I have found 6 volt deep cycle work the best if properly maintained.

Posts: 4 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I buy batteries for my coach at Walmart for the same reason as Fern. The last set lived more than 8 years. I frequently check the water levels and keep them charged with a second XS Intelicharger. No mystery in the process, just simple maintenance and common sense, they are inexpensive and they work. I have four battery chargers and nine batteries. There are three batteries in the coach, two for pit scooters, one (16 volt) the race car, one for the car trailer, one in my wife's SUV and one in my truck.

I'm an Interstate shareholder for good reason.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I just put one of these in my trailer. Gonna put an inverter in at a later date. We use these for the camping van conversions we do at work, they are very good and hold up exceptionally well. Not cheap, but just depends on what you're looking for.

https://www.renogy.com/deep-cy...ttery-12-volt-200ah/

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I also use everstart, the 29dc. I was using 27dc at $120.00 apiece for 810 amps, started looking at the 29dc at $90.00 for 845 amps and thought, well now this is a no brainer. Put two in the race car, and two in the coach. Never had one die yet in several years. I looked at the 31dc but that dang thing is $200.00.

Posts: 296 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Costco and change them out every 23 months, ya know before the warranty expires Smile

I have a friend whom you know who used to run a red vette is S/ST all over D7 and the country for that matter that switched to Optimas and said it was the best thing he ever did. Did it on his new coach too.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Battle born. Could be the best battery out there for non cranking.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had 4X 6 volt house batteries in my Tiffin. I recently switched mine to two 6 Volts. I figured i was always running my generator or plugged in anyways why carry 2 more 6 volts.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post