DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Goodyear radial slicks ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodyear radial slicks ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anyone here using them or have used them ?
Specifically the D 4827 and D 5202 . Both nominally 30x9 but actually around 29.5/29.6 tall .
I run a near 3800lb Plymouth Satellite on Caltracs , currently footbraking will go 10.30s @ 128+ . For bracket racing . Tracks normally ok but sometimes less than stellar .
Currently have Hoosier 30x10.5 radial slick . Run MT PBR 29.5x10.5 for years .
However the MT is very hard to come by here at the moment , currently not in stock , and Hoosier is north of $600 each . GY is about $150 cheaper per tyre .
I can go 160-180 passes on PBR , am at 78 on Hoosier now looks like 20 or so left . GY looks similar weight , height & rollout to Hoosier so lighter than PBR . Data shows Plymouth is a little quicker on Hoosier so likes slightly shorter less roll out than PBR .
I have only ever run radials since 2007 when i imported the Plymouth .
TIA

Tex

Posts: 62 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I ran the 6303 (D-4A) 9x30r for several years 2005 and prior, great tire all around, got 125 or so runs on a pair, hooked until they show rag.
They were replaced with the 4457 I think it is, I got a pair that were trash in 2014 and they're still laying here useless.
M/T PBR's for the win, for general bracket use, in my opinion. I don't know how many runs I have on these, 150+ I'm sure, and looking to put a few more on them.
The lightweight 9x30r Hoosier might be quicker?

The Hoosier 10.5 X 29.5 DBR is HUGE compared to the M/T 10.5 X 29.5 PBR. I can't get them on my car....yet. Frame notch coming this winter.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind M/T is now Goodyear, so things are changing in the product lines. Seems pretty fluid on supply these days.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex013:
Currently have Hoosier 30x10.5 radial slick am at 78 on Hoosier now looks like 20 or so left

Tex

Great tire, I would not change. Ran them on my 3880 lb. footbraked Chevelle with a 700+HP BBC from 1999 through 2008 season after which I sold the car. I typically put 75 passes in them then have them to a friend with a 3100 lb. 3rd gen Camaro with a small block. 60 footed a best of 1.28 off the foot brake and 10.07 @ 131 with them.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
thanks guys .
Goob yes I read your take on the Hoosier DBR ,so thats a no go for me . Also I knew about GY buying MT and that seems to have put a big kink in supply , especially down here . All retailers say its a lucky dip between what they order and what they get supplied .
1320 , yes . I am not unhappy with the Hoosier just cant seem to get the run life , ideally I would like a solid 100-120 which is about a full normal season .
And I am on a basic budget . I normally go high 1.40s footbrake best of 10.25@131 on the Hoosier . I know the Hoosier doesnt like when I use Transbrake .
I am open to going GY but would like a little more feedback .
If not I guess its suck up the higher price , no good buying a tyre that wont suit my use .

Tex

Posts: 62 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The Hoosier will easily go 100+ passes on your car. What psi are you running them at?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320 .
19 - 19 1/2 on a 10"rim .
I have tried up and down but that is what works best and consistantly . Same as PBR on same rim .
Its like burnout . Everyone says haze them . If i do that or get too squirilly I just spin , so its about a 3-5 second solid burnout .

Tex

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
4 second burnout max and if you're spinning, the track is garbage and/or you don't have your suspension setup for radials.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
well ran on weekend . Good passes mucked up in 1/4s took a loss by 0.0007 . With not much feedback on the GY I will have to look at Hoosier or MT PBR
1320 i appreciate your thoughts , I have run this Plymouth since 2007 only ever on radials for numerous good results so suspension is probably ok . Now as for prep , not sure but generally seems ok.

Tex

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
well ran on weekend . Good passes mucked up in 1/4s took a loss by 0.0007 . With not much feedback on the GY I will have to look at Hoosier or MT PBR
1320 i appreciate your thoughts , I have run this Plymouth since 2007 only ever on radials for numerous good results so suspension is probably ok . Now as for prep , not sure but generally seems ok.

Tex

If you're going to bracket race it, get the M/T PBR's, if you want fast, get the Hoosiers, would be my thought.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Goob ,
yes that is exactly what my data shows me .
Its really what is available here and when I need to buy . Both come into play next month

Tex

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
If you're going to bracket race it, get the M/T PBR's, if you want fast, get the Hoosiers, would be my thought.

I've bracket raced on both & win with either, both brands work great! The Hoosiers are a tad bit quicker due to lighter rotational weight. I will say this, my Hoosiers are leakers & are empty as I type. This is my 2nd pair of M/T PBR's & they don't leak!

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
B King ,
thanks . My Hoosiers are ok minimal leak , MT nevere seem to .

Tex

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hi all ,
just a little update .
I bought the Goodyears . A mate also bought a pair as his PBR were done .
I have to wait till the 17th to try them . He ran them last weekend T&T and races for a natinal championship this weekend .
He was very happy with them , found them as good as the PBR . His 62 Belair is about 3900lbs leaving off tbrake @ low 2000s . Went 1.38(?) sixty @ 10.12 132s mph .
Crossing fingers for him this weekend he goes all the way .

Tex

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
ok , been a while but heres some results .
I ran mine on the weekend , 3780lb Plymouth Satellite . 10"rim 19psi , footbrake @ 1700 leave . Track was ... how can i say it ? On the poor side of average . Not much prep other than drag a little never saw spray .
Anyhoo . I found i needed probably 75% of my normal burnout , tyres smoke fairly quickly and i tried to roll out once I saw it in mirror . Sixties were for me normal so 1.49-1.50 with a couple quicker thrown in , 1.47/48 . Inline with regular . There were 2 passes I ran with lesser burnout and tyre felt like a 1/2 turn then then bam dead hooked but no spin . I was running mid to high 6.50s in 1/8th . Not a lot of rubber on fender maybe used 0.1mm in 8 passes . Averages 4.9/5mm @ tyre depth holes .
Does not seem to require break in like Hoosier or MT PBR
Car ran as fast as normal . Will see what trackside pictures look like . Will look forward to running a better prepped track to see if any further gains .
So definately happy so far , will keep run log , if i can go 100/125 passes be very happy . Price is right for sure .

Tex

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
ok , been a while but heres some results .
I ran mine on the weekend , 3780lb Plymouth Satellite . 10"rim 19psi , footbrake @ 1700 leave . Track was ... how can i say it ? On the poor side of average . Not much prep other than drag a little never saw spray .
Anyhoo . I found i needed probably 75% of my normal burnout , tyres smoke fairly quickly and i tried to roll out once I saw it in mirror . Sixties were for me normal so 1.49-1.50 with a couple quicker thrown in , 1.47/48 . Inline with regular . There were 2 passes I ran with lesser burnout and tyre felt like a 1/2 turn then then bam dead hooked but no spin . I was running mid to high 6.50s in 1/8th . Not a lot of rubber on fender maybe used 0.1mm in 8 passes . Averages 4.9/5mm @ tyre depth holes .
Does not seem to require break in like Hoosier or MT PBR
Car ran as fast as normal . Will see what trackside pictures look like . Will look forward to running a better prepped track to see if any further gains .
So definately happy so far , will keep run log , if i can go 100/125 passes be very happy . Price is right for sure .

Tex

Cool.
I did a dragster style burnout in the heat, did a stationary then roll burnout when the track gets cooler.

It's winter down there now?

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Goob yes it is winter here . DA was 800-1400 low humidity/grains . Still plenty of sunshine to warm the track.
I use a rear line lock and come straight from 2-3 gear then hold 3-5 seconds and drive out . I rarely alter this , though occasionally get caught with uneven waterbox and go sideways a way .

Tex