DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Compression vs leakdown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compression vs leakdown
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted
How can a motor have 60-70 psi lower compression in 2 cylinders and then all the cylinders have 3-4 % leakage.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bad can lobes/lifters?

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Has to cam lobes,pushrod or something not letting valve open to get air in.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Bad can lobes/lifters?

Bingo. I would measure lift of PRs on all cylinder vs good cylinders...

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1440 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Ok. So there seems to be an consensous here. So I will check.

Thanks for giving me a place to start

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Before you get too far into it, try repeating the compression test on 6 and 8 again, with the throttle held wide open.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Yeah I am going to. The motor has gas ported pistons. the theory is since the motor sat over the winter that the rings may be stuck on those 2. Maybe when I put air in for the leakdown it popped the rings back out. Gonna look at it tonight

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Are you doing these tests on a hot/warm engine?

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
warm

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I haven't read this whole deal,,,

One question, is the motor running up to par or is it slow? If its running good forget about both compression and leak down testing!

If its off then you have an issue!

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Its been so cold here in Maryland, havent run it yet. The main issue how this thread started was the vacuum pump filling up the overflow tank in a matter of minutes.

quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
I haven't read this whole deal,,,

One question, is the motor running up to par or is it slow? If its running good forget about both compression and leak down testing!

If its off then you have an issue!