DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Silverado Exhaust manifold/header bolt removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silverado Exhaust manifold/header bolt removal
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Got all the others off. Down to one. This one rounded off in the socket. All have taken slow persuasion with a 1/2" drive breaker gently. But none have broken. All have taken a good amount of force though.
Any suggestions from experience on how to get that one with the rounded head? I can try vice grips, and I think I have the Irwin sockets that you tap on and they bite into the rounded bolt. What's next if those don't work? Cut it off? Weld a nut? If I weld, what should I unplug to avoid frying anything?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6366 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Does this engine have aluminum heads?

Posts: 2440 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Does this engine have aluminum heads?

Iron heads

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6366 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
the spiral sockets for rounded off bolts work great. Might need a little heat before tapping the socket on

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Will give them a try

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
I use them often at work. Might be best to have both metric and standard sizes depending on how rounded the head is, I find that I need to use which ever needs to be tapped on so it can dig deep enough into the metal.

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
First try they worked like a charm! Never used one before. I like it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
Smile