New
Find
Notify
Tools

1967 SS 350
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I went to start my 67 Camaro street car after neglecting for the last four month. It will turn over, and the plugs (new today) are firing, but it will not start. Poured some gas into the carb but still nothing so I'm lost. I drove it into the garage, shut it off,and disconnected the battery. I'm lost because this makes no sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
a few things to consider;

*It ran when pulled in so, at least in theory, it should be a minor problem

*You put fuel down the intake but did not start, so, at least for now, rule out a fuel problem

*"The plugs are sparking" tell us more about the ignition system

*How did you check the spark?

*what ignition system do you have?

*Do the basic checks of a worn, corroded, cracked distributor cap, rotor, coil wire.

Bend a spark plug gap very wide, 1/4" or more wide gap, will it fire that?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
If it still has points, seeing a spark doesn't mean there is enough energy to fire the engine. If you dumped a small amount of gas in the carb and it did nothing, look for an ignition problem first.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1390 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Expanding on what's already been said, starting fluid should determine if there is any spark at all in the cylinder. Could still be too weak to fire cold gasoline. No fire on starting fluid I'd turn my attention to the ignition.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2332 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
A white spark is a weak spark and won’t fire under compression. The color will tell you more about the strength of the ignition system.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Finally got it started by filling the carb with gas and pouring some down the carb. The man that built the engine called and helped me. He said that the motor probably wasn't getting enough gas, and he was right. By the way, it has an electronic distributor.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post