DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What is tire 'shake' or 'chatter'?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is tire 'shake' or 'chatter'?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, how do you define tire shake or tire chatter? Are they the same thing?

After several seasons of racing I reckon I should know what is meant by those terms by now. But often if I act like a dummy I learn more.

Thanks!
Troy

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Me, i always considered like when you get the little blip at the end of the burn out> Chirp.
Now when we are talking shake, Extra Fixodent is required just to hold those chompers in place.
Seriously chatter is like a short shudder. Now this is violent shake.

https://bangshift.com/bangshif...n-ultra-slow-motion/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
Tire shake happens when the tire doesn't stay planted and drives over the wrinkled part causing the tire to go out of round. Usually caused by lack of power. You'll know if this happens!
Chatter is sometimes at the end of the burnout when the tire grabs and.or power is being cut.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Tire shake is when the car the stops accelerating noticeably and your head feels like you put it in the paint shaker at your local hardware store and gave it about a 1 second blip of power.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
shake is more severe and is typical on line for us and chatter is more down track.although either can happen,shake is more severe

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thank you much, guys, especially for that video that demonstrates shake in slow motion.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Tire shake is kinda like hemorrhoids, hard to explain, but you'll know when you have it!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3095 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Tire shake is kinda like hemorrhoids, hard to explain, but you'll know when you have it!

Heheh, thanks!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
You'll know it when it happens. Paddling is when the tire is a little low on air and you can feel it chatter. Tire shake vibrates the whole car and in my case, it washes the rearend out on you generally have to abort the run.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If yu can see where you are going its either very minor shake or just not shake.Like going thru cones at finish line and only knowing there is one on each side of car while running 230 mph. Chunking two rods AT 100" will do that. Not laughing at all.

Yes shake is normally from too little wheel speed and early or can be at a shift.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4158 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well here is a video of a little shakin, it has done it bad enough to break tubes. In ouor case we just didn't have enough shock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hslwkm9zps

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 983 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post