DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Titanium exhaust valves
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Titanium exhaust valves
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
Blown TD 25-30lbs of boost. Currently running Ti intakes and SS exhaust valves. Would it be worth it to switch to Ti exhaust valves? What would be the pluses and minuses? What about Inconal ?

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I would go with Inconel for the heat resistance. The weight is not a huge issue on the exhaust.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the weight differance is between Ti and Inconel. I know there is a pretty good price differance. Currently running aluminum T&D rockers on the exh so any weight saving would help reliability I would think.

Posts: 2423 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I wonder what the weight differance is between Ti and Inconel. I know there is a pretty good price differance. Currently running aluminum T&D rockers on the exh so any weight saving would help reliability I would think.

Gonna say the weight thing is a non issue here, most of the load on the rockers on a blown deal come trying to open the valve to release the cylinder pressure.
I know of a few Promod guys running Tit ex valves, probably the short duration drag stuff keeps the heat at an acceptable level.
Also normally due the valve's back angles, Tit valve flow better than SS valves (tulip shape vs nail head).

If you running a good deal of boost you may want to get those AL rocker out, its a bad day when you break an EX rocker at WOT.

BTW I believe Inconel is very similar to SS weight wise.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Pulled an exhaust rocker stand out of the head twice this year, not fun. It killed the intake lifter both times and an intake adjuster one time.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would go with inconel exhaust as well

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Yea I broke a exh rocker very early on under WOT after I built the motor hydraulicing the cylinder Wasnt the rockers fault just got caught up in a chain of events including broken exh stand, int rocker, 2 push rods and lifter. Also bent the exh valve.
I was suppose to get steel exh rockers but there was some confusion and after waiting almost 3 months from T&D for the set, aluminum rockers showed up so I had little choice but to go with them or wait even longer. If I make the switch I will get Manton steel rockers.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
IMO no.PM sent about why.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Yea I broke a exh rocker very early on under WOT after I built the motor hydraulicing the cylinder Wasnt the rockers fault just got caught up in a chain of events including broken exh stand, int rocker, 2 push rods and lifter. Also bent the exh valve.
I was suppose to get steel exh rockers but there was some confusion and after waiting almost 3 months from T&D for the set, aluminum rockers showed up so I had little choice but to go with them or wait even longer. If I make the switch I will get Manton steel rockers.

From what little I know about it I would go with the Manton rockers before I would worry about the exhaust valves. Man, they are expensive though.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ran stainless for awhile. They would leak 100% after about 20 passes with a 2 thread tuneup but it never ran any faster when I replaced. I only replaced because I was afraid of one failing (they got to looking pretty ugly if I kept running them). Eventually switched to inconel and have had good luck. I go 8k maybe 8300 almost every pass.

Also, Crower stainless rockers are worth a look. Great performance and great customer service.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
I ran stainless for awhile. They would leak 100% after about 20 passes with a 2 thread tuneup but it never ran any faster when I replaced. I only replaced because I was afraid of one failing (they got to looking pretty ugly if I kept running them). Eventually switched to inconel and have had good luck. I go 8k maybe 8300 almost every pass.

Also, Crower stainless rockers are worth a look. Great performance and great customer service.

Did the leakage go away after switching to Inconel? I have a few leaking pretty good but ran 6.07 @ 228 last full pull and thats after a 6.05 223 that melted a ground strap.

Reason I would look first at the Manton is they are made to fit the T&D stands. JR Baxter is running them, but he has all the cool stuff...

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I once had a Trans Am team manager and engine builder use our old shop for machine work and dyno.

He raced a Turbo Porsche.....inline 4 cylinder and ran a ton of boost....

The only material that did not fail for him was Inconel....

He had block deck O-rings made from Inconel...…

He eventually worked for Rousch's turbo Tran Am program and then became Toyota USA NASCAR racings head man.....He knew his stuff !!

Off shore powerboat racing is another very abusive environment.....they use Inconel …

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of John Heard
posted Hide Post
Fun Fact, when Inconel melts it makes little green balls.

John Heard
DragStuff.com

Posts: 188 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve, I would use the inconel exhausts and titanium intakes. My son just switched to the Crower stainless shaft rockers. First class piece for a number of reasons.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:

We aren't talking about a NA bracket motor here,,, leak down tests are static and the motor lives in a dynamic world. Its very common to see large leak numbers and still have the motor run great! Unless something is really hurt, static leakage from valves or rings doesn't seam to make any difference in performance...

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Never had leakage issue with ss valve the year we had them in TA/FC.I burnt few pistons,can't find the line till you step over it.LOL

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
blown application should always have Inconel on the exhaust side!!..but what do I know

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
blown application should always have Inconel on the exhaust side!!..but what do I know

How to do wheelies and kill dear! Big Grin

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Poor Deer... Big Grin At least the name is not John Deer...

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
nope think hes talking the good kind of deer,kind with tender loin. Was looking for some this morning,they never showed.