DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bracket racing with Nitrous
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bracket racing with Nitrous
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted
Just food for thought, if you were going to try a nitrous system on a door car in bracket racing trim what would you choose? I know many do not care for this but I do know it can work under the right circumstances. For my application it's a 5.70 to 5.80 car.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Cmichael
posted Hide Post
Are you on gas or methanol?

Wettstien Auto and Welding
Autometer

Posts: 155 | Location: Iola,KS | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I ran it for 1 season. Lost more than I won with it. It can be fun and addictive but over all I found it to be a PITA.

Posts: 2425 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I had an NOS override the majority of years I had a BBC in my ride.

Big Shot pre-plate and a Cheater plate 300-350 hp pills.

Engine ran on methanol and the nitrous was injected on gasoline, separate fuel system. I used it quite a bit. I can't remember a round I lost because of it.

I had all the bells and whistle on the nitrous. Boom button, hobbs switch, wide open safety and relays on everything, it worked flawless.

Took it off when I put the sbc in the car was so much better, didn't need it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Big Steve were you breaking out or dumping? Curios as which was worst.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I used a 250 shot for some finish line racing , But with everyone holding its useless now.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFC:
Back in the day I used a 250 shot for some finish line racing , But with everyone holding its useless now.

Not true.. It can still be of value on the car, maybe not like it used to be but there's always a good reason to have it.. I'm excited to give it a try this year as I have always wanted a system on my dragster, and now get to try it out.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Big Steve were you breaking out or dumping? Curios as which was worst.

I never had much luck driving the stripe being it would just blow thru the converter on the top end and not move the number much. It worked better turning it on early in the run with a timer to change the look of the race but I also had the nitrous solenoid not open exactly at the same time as the fuel solenoid causing some inconsistency multiple times. I know many who use it with lots of success but for me It was more fun to just use to go fast for quick 16 races but like I said it just became a huge PITA keeping bottles full, maintaining pressure etc.

Posts: 2425 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Right now it is gasoline. Hopefully in the future I can switch to methanol. I have been told the epoxy in my Brodix heads is a problem with methanol.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
quote:

Not true.. It can still be of value on the car, maybe not like it used to be but there's always a good reason to have it.. I'm excited to give it a try this year as I have always wanted a system on my dragster, and now get to try it out.

If you're one of the faster cars on the property with the majority of races unfolding looking forward, and you're a daredevil, I agree with you. There's all kinds of chit you can do with the nitrous. If a guy is a half a second or slower than I am, I'm holding a tenth minimum. That's the nitrous advantage, you can hold as much as you want, and it's not reflected in the dial. Racing offensively with nitrous works a lot better than racing defensively with nitrous.

The nitrous changes your profile, if you use it offensively, randomly.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

racing with spray against someone holding makes it way easier. I raced with spray on an over ride for many years and won more rounds than not with it. the secret is knowing how much you picked it up so you know when to quit and get back to the good. in a sense you can hold whenever you want with spray and hold as much as you want. all while going down the track.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I like to call it moving the stripe against someone holding.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
The spray can and will be very consistent for sure. Used to run a 565 on one fogger kit on gasoline in a Firebird that I bracket raced as well as ran TS in from 2006 to 2013. Ton of fun with a lil extra effort...I knew I lost my kind when I would show up with 14 bottles full ready for battle!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
quote:

If you're one of the faster cars on the property with the majority of races unfolding looking forward, and you're a daredevil, I agree with you. There's all kinds of chit you can do with the nitrous. If a guy is a half a second or slower than I am, I'm holding a tenth minimum. That's the nitrous advantage, you can hold as much as you want, and it's not reflected in the dial. Racing offensively with nitrous works a lot better than racing defensively with nitrous.

The nitrous changes your profile, if you use it offensively, randomly.

Exactly. For me, it's just another thing to throw into my arsenal to help me win the race. Keeps the opponent guessing as to what I'm going to do. Am I bluffing if I purge it on the starting line? Am I actually not gonna get to the stripe? Like I said, I'm excited to try it!

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Purge is fun in the humid still air at night!!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I have decided to move forward and get a plate kit for the Sunfire. Looking for a good deal any thoughts?

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
Right now it is gasoline. Hopefully in the future I can switch to methanol. I have been told the epoxy in my Brodix heads is a problem with methanol.

If your'e concerned about the epoxy. Try sealing it with Por15 or something similar. Even on gasoline the epoxy erodes over time. I ended up with epoxy in my new heads. Slick Rick painted some on the epoxy to seal it. I'm on gas.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of guys with a bottle on their car, but never use it....or do the purge but don't spray....pretty easy to tell watching, but when racing them you don't know.....until it's over...good psy ops........

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
What about name brands for a nitrous plate system. Is there really much difference between brand names? Just want the most bang for my buck. Bang is not a literal term here. Wink

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
What about name brands for a nitrous plate system. Is there really much difference between brand names? Just want the most bang for my buck. Bang is not a literal term here. Wink

Nitrous Express has some really nice plate systems. The Twin Gemini series are really nice as it sprays from the outer perimeter with no spray bar going down the middle and it isn't much more expensive than the normal plate that has the crossbar. Even at that though, their plate with the bar going through the middle is a billet piece and is much less likely to break than say the NOS plate systems that have an actual tube molded into them.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3