DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bandimere Speedway Issues?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bandimere Speedway Issues?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted
Was this recent on the development? Reminds me back in the days of the old us 30 Development and complaints OTA.

https://www.change.org/p/jeffe...e-rooney-valley-area

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just another step closer to closing, because I bought a 500K house next to a race track and now my kids can't sleep..... complete BS but it's the world we live in today Super Angry

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Not good news for my home track. They had an issue with the hoa's across the highway. Got it solved and all new home purchases over there required the buyer to sign a disclosure about the noise. I know the Bandimere family won't go easily on this one, and they have tons of support. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of a pretty new dragstrip in Onawa, Iowa, that was built from an abandoned airport right next to the community.

I think it was three of the track's board members are also on the local City council! They passed a new city ordnance banning anyone from trying to shut the track down due to noise!

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:

I think it was three of the track's board members are also on the local City council! They passed a new city ordnance banning anyone from trying to shut the track down due to noise!

That's awesome!

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A somewhat similar situation was experienced in the early 90'S with Miami-Hollywood Speedway. When originally constructed in the 60's it was literally in the middle of a swamp. The only neighbors were gators and snakes. As south Florida developed the encroachment from builders and developers doomed the facility. Nothing was done to attempt to save the track. Money became to big an issue, ergo the track sold to developers. Hope Bandimere does not suffer the same fate.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to KCIR in Kansas City Mo.Big money housing developers.Neighbors tried to close Byron dragway a few years ago until Ron Leek told them how much money racers spend in their town.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vetman,

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 395 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
Neighbors tried to close Byron dragway a few years ago until Ron Leek told them how much money racers spend in their town.

Bandimere Speedway gives a TON back to the communities and is a MAJOR revenue source for the area. Not to mention the jobs they provide. Many are seasonal, yes, but still they employ a lot of people throughout the year.....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
A somewhat similar situation was experienced in the early 90'S with Miami-Hollywood Speedway. When originally constructed in the 60's it was literally in the middle of a swamp. The only neighbors were gators and snakes. As south Florida developed the encroachment from builders and developers doomed the facility. Nothing was done to attempt to save the track. Money became to big an issue, ergo the track sold to developers. Hope Bandimere does not suffer the same fate.

**** Moroso was leasing the track from the Calder estate, due to some skimming of the weekly gate it appeared he was not making the money he needed to keep the track open so he did not renew the lease when it came up for renewal. Calder did not have anybody to take over so they closed it, and sold it. The developers bought the property.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Heard the same rumors. Never the less developers ended up with the property. Do you think the operator skimming $$ was part of or the plan all along?

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
It really is ridiculous, and infuriating. Probably comes down to who has the better ($$$) Lawyer.
I know the Bandimere family has been fighting this battle for over 20 years, but a few years ago, when I saw homes being framed on the bluff across the highway, I had a bad feeling. No matter what contract or waiver a home owner or buyer signs, these whacked-out liberal judges can toss the people's fate and livelihood out the window with a wave of their hand. (Especially if the right palms have been properly greased)... Mad

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Heard the same rumors. Never the less developers ended up with the property. Do you think the operator skimming $$ was part of or the plan all along?
\
Operator was not skimming, **** knew nothing about it.Every week, 2 shoeboxes in the trunk.
A friend saw it happen.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Still a sad situation. Enjoyed many Saturday nights/weekends racing there. Started racing at Masters Field before Miami-Hollywood opened. Got to race the final race in the early 90's. In between saw many great racers and made a few friends before moving on with life and career.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
BTW, I did mean to suggest that **** Moroso was skimming, but someone in the track organization. Let me be clear, I knew **** and I feel he was a stand up guy.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised. Developers (collectively) think that they have more "power" than they really do. In this area, they do--they run the city. Construction of new homes is such a large scale that the developers can tell the city council how much money their subdivisions are bringing into the city, and the council believes them. The council members also know almost all of the major developers personally. But such is not the case everywhere. The local drag strip is a good example. Many of the "neighbors" in that area of the strip griped about noise; and they actually got to take their case to court. The judge basically told those neighbors that the drag strip was there when they moved into their new home and that they knew it was there--and threw the case out without prejudice. Win for us drag racers. The owners do try to let the homeowners know of coming events that may last well into the night(s). They don't have to do that; they just do it out of courtesy.

Another town over had an old airport that was shut down when their new one opened up. The city owned the property that the old airport was on and they were trying to decide what to do with it. I suggested a drag strip. Of course the mayor and his cronies laughed me out of the room saying that the noise was going to be horrific. But the irony is that the city's original plan fell through when the developers pulled out, so the city decided to build high end apartments on part of it and then remediate the rest of it, meaning lots of dirt work, etc. Noise? All hours, excavating, dump trucks, low boy haulers-and this has been going on for over 5 years that I know of, almost daily. A drag strip would have been quieter.

So yeah, I'm not the lease bit surprised based on what's happened out here.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
The thing that chaps my ass is how cities and communities will fork over the cash for other sports - tennis, swimming, etc. but won't spend a nickel on motorsports.

We have what used to be an Air Force training base that's been leased to a private entity. It has two concrete runways well over a mile long along with numerous taxiways, etc.
Nope, no motorsports, even if you fund it. We'd rather let it sit idle than lease it to anyone.
F'in idiots.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the way of "things". Motorsports has no meaning to anyone but participants and the businesses that own the facilities and if the people who "run things" have no interest in motorsports, they're not going to do much with it. Maybe apartments, or something that is more secured income than motorsports.

Out here, there is some "rumor" for years now that a well-known nascar former racer and investor has some property in several areas that was supposed to be set aside for a new motorsports facility. However, the state legislature won't let ANY new motorsports facilities open up, anywhere in the state--and when someone tries on their own private property, the state will try to shut them down. I live not far from a place that this happened at (drag strip). Lots of legal stuff, but they're still running the track. Reminds me I need to head over there this Saturday after work to spectate. what gets me is that some of the legislators claim to be "car nuts"--yet these same senators and representatives will vote down about any and all bill that promotes any type of motorsports activities; and they'll also vote FOR most (all?) limits for the car community. Case in point, Jack Fortner-a self proclaimed "car collector", introduced a bill that changed the age that a vehicle could be considered an antique from 25 years old to 45 years old. The bill had zero support and a ton of opposition, so Jack pulled the bill. Then later on, with nobody to oppose, a second bill-HB1496, which got no opposition obviously because the opposition thought that they won the battle, it became act 368 and was signed by the governor. So how's that affect anyone? Well I've got this old 1992 Mustang that I bought in 2012, project. Took too long, finally got it up and going after major work over, and then Jack Fortner says hey my car's not a classic, and the governor agreed-RIGHT before I was able to get that inexpensive antique plate. To say I was unhappy is an understatement; and I ain't the only one. I have been emailing the SEMA action network among others to push the state's congress but I don't know how much support it will get. Just after Act 368 took effect, I got the results back on my car...it was one of 65 with that trim/color/interior options. But it's not a classic according to Fortner.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I talked with Sporty about this...he's not overly concerned about it right now. They have several long term projects planned and are working on several more....I'm headed back home to visit in a few weeks, I'll stop in and talk to John.....I'm sure he'll know how things are going....

Mark Goulette