DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Big Block Chevy block
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Block Chevy block
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Got a big Block Chevy block,it’s got 7.4 on side of block how much can I bore the block

Posts: 6 | Location: Elizabethton Tn. | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
0.060". I pushed one to 0.070" but the walls start getting a little thin. I gave up on OEM blocks. Went with a Dart 4.6 block and punched it out to 4.625 and still have 0.300" thick cylinder walls.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1348 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Casting number?
I have a handful of Gen 6's that I sonic checked. At standard bore, not a one was less than .210. I've seen older Mark IV's that couldn't safely go more than .030.

Magnafluxing and sonic testing are only expensive if you fail to use them.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with oem blocks but I always keep the bore to a minimum. I sonic test all my blocks and always use the thicker ones for the good stuff. Only way to safely tell how far you can go is to sonic test but .030 is rarely a problem.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
We push ours to .070 4.320 and most are at 4.310 with no issues. We do use Embecco cast iron grout block fill but I don’t believe it’s helping the power or the bores. This new combo we have had no filler. If you can swing it buy a dart block. That’s our next build. Stable blocks are worth power.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4461 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post