DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Put up my awning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Put up my awning
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted
Just passing this along. First time putting up my Ultimate Awning took about a half hour, by myself, off a ladder. It was real easy and now I have a solid work space. Haters gonna hate, but works well for me.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Mike nice job.. I see they have a Patent on the cam lok. Looks like no videos either.You know of any? The structure, is the baseline on 96" centers like the DMP? Pending on length of trailer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Nice setup! Cool

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Don't know why anyone would hate.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Mike nice job.. I see they have a Patent on the cam lok. Looks like no videos either.You know of any? The structure, is the baseline on 96" centers like the DMP? Pending on length of trailer.

I was hesitant at my purchase due to the secrecy of the design of this awning. I have only owned this one, so I can't compare, but all the frame structure goes together, mounted on the trailer in less than 5 minutes.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:

Many people feel it's to much work to put up.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed. I dont think the pro type awnings would be bad to put up, its taking them down after a long weekend of racing that I would struggle with.

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I guess you could say I am one of the Haters. And hater may not be right word, I like them but do not think they are worth the hassle. I have seen many of them get destroyed when you need them most like when bad weather comes in and it starts raining real hard. Wind picks up and just tears them up, rips them to shreds and swings the poles around tearing up more stuff. Look for video of Amarillo Funny Car Choas last year. Storm came up quickly and tore up a lot of stuff. Instead of hiding out under the canopies to stay dry they were in the rain and wind trying to control the damage and get the remaining parts down. The poles were beating up nice cars and trailers and they had to fight to get control of the canopy in the rain. Quite a few times at races I have seen them come loose.

Plus some are a real pain to put up and take down. When it comes to Texas heat I do not want to create any extra work or waste any time when I am done racing. I have enough to do to load up and drive home late at night. Some drag out 400 Lbs of concrete bucket weights to hold it down and to me that seems like extra work.

I have seen some that take a crew of like 4 men and ladders and one guy crawling on the roof and an hour or more to get the canopy up. I guess it the heavier duty they are the harder they are to put up and take down.

Your canopy does look really NICE and PROFESSIONAL but I just do not think they are worth the hassle. But if you like it and you think it is not too big a hassle that is all that matters. By the way the roadster in the picture is beautiful.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
if your there for 2-4 days I think its worth it for sure... way better setup then the power awnings I have ..

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous.....Way better than the two Coleman 12x12 popups I have.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:

Many people feel it's to much work to put up.

That doesn't mean I hate them. They look pretty awesome in your pit and obviously have about the best protection and working area you can get.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Took about a half hour to completely disassemble, and fold the canvas to be ready for next time.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
This was the first time, right? 30 min is pretty quick and I would it will get quicker. But, maybe you should try taking it down in the rain or at least wind so your ready when it hits at the track. Looks awesome!

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:
This was the first time, right? 30 min is pretty quick and I would it will get quicker. But, maybe you should try taking it down in the rain or at least wind so your ready when it hits at the track. Looks awesome!

Yeah, first time. Maybe here in Michigan we don't get the storms that you get in say Texas, because most everything I've seen here should be good for this awning. We had pretty strong winds here Saturday with no issues regarding the awning. This deal is very strong.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike your car is working awsome. 4.80s and stuck like glue. Great job.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Thats a very nice set up Mike.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
No hate...just hateful opinions...lol

PIA in my mid 50s, ESPECIALLY by myself after a week of racing in the middle of a storm as I want to get the F out of there...

Power awning or no awnings...JMO

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This ^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not hater just jealous. My two pop ups take about as long and not near as nice. I have one drawn up to build,but then I have two books of projects I want to build.By time built I will be too old and in wheel chair. NLMAO.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post