DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    TB Button Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TB Button Question
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted
I'm using the mushroom button from Biondo and later this year I'm going to run a no box race so I have to take the box out. Will the mushroom button be OK to switch the TB without a relay? Anyone doing this?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I hate to drift off subject but I think it is strange how small the wiring is on the Transbrake solenoids.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
The stretch cord wires are even smaller......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just make a "jumper" connector to by-pass the box have them on both our cars takes about 2 mins total to go from box to no box no relay involved.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
Just make a "jumper" connector to by-pass the box have them on both our cars takes about 2 mins total to go from box to no box no relay involved.

What button are you using without a relay?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
100s if not 1000s of cars with mushroom buttons wired to the transbrake without a relay. The smaller silver wires on the buttons and solenoids handle more amps than the equivalent size copper wire.

If you want a relay I'd look at solid state.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
One has a Biondo button the other is WW Grainger micro-switch button same as alot of "brand" names no relay for years and no problems

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried / used Mushroom and Snap Action (Biondo brand) wired directly to TB solenoid no-box racing without problems. These are 18 or 16 gauge and will handle the “intermittent” Load of the transbrake solenoid. For me I didn’t like the feel of either button.

My button of choice is one with a micro switch. I prefer Biondo Standard Size Mushroom that has an Omron brand microswitch which is excellent quality. Replacement Omron micro switches are easily purchased on the net.

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've used a generic Omron, a Dedenbear which is an Omron and the generic green button with the cord direct to the solenoid with no problems. My box is on a round Weatherpak quick disconnect and I made a jumper for the TB direct to the button that plugs into it.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I run a Mega-200, so being that it uses a ground signal from the button, I have wired in a relay to use in no-box, BUT, that isn't "exactly legal" in no box competition.
Since I am never a threat to win anything, no one has ever made an issue of it.

If I were to run a significant no-box event, I would get the blessing of the event tech department before I would run it that way.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1601 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
Like Goob said above me, if you are using a box that requires a ground signal from the button and you wish to use THE SAME BUTTON then you will need to add a relay unless you want to completely rewire the button for no box only. I use a 4 pin trailer plug on each side of my delay box. Takes 30 secs to unplug the box and plug in the pigtail with the relay attached to it and be ready to hit the bottom.

Posts: 70 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Excess... We can do the same. Without a crew the hardest part is what do you do with the box when drive back to staging for the No Box round ???

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm using a K&R, so I'll just put a connector near the box with a plug in jumper. The four wire trailer plug should do the trick.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is how you wire in a jumper to go from Box to No-Box if using a ground (negative) signal from the transbrake button to the delay box. NO relay needed.

This no-box jumper wiring diagram was originally posted by Ohio Mafia Wiring.

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
Toad- I throw the box in my helmet bag which stays on the back seat. I know it's supposed to be completely out of the car but it's very clear I'm not using a box once you see my RT's.

Posts: 70 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of vega3410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I’ve tried / used Mushroom and Snap Action (Biondo brand) wired directly to TB solenoid no-box racing without problems. These are 18 or 16 gauge and will handle the “intermittent” Load of the transbrake solenoid. For me I didn’t like the feel of either button.

My button of choice is one with a micro switch. I prefer Biondo Standard Size Mushroom that has an Omron brand microswitch which is excellent quality. Replacement Omron micro switches are easily purchased on the net.

How did you mount the standard mushroom button?

In greed we trust...So where's my money at?

Posts: 187 | Location: Elyria,Ohio | Registered: February 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post