DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    T/D - T/S caliber Powerglide Big Input & Output
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T/D - T/S caliber Powerglide Big Input & Output
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
If any T/D - T/S racers have never seen inside these you may find this interesting.

This is a Coan brand mostly, looks like a broached 1.250 input w/ T 400 output. Really this is a 3000 hp plus, plus unit. Really nice unit with a trick drum FMX clutches. FTI Billet fast TB.

This one has all the bells and whistles you may find interesting. I did one identical for the car that won the first ever radial tire diamond championship ring 2009. Transmission Specialties produced their version of all these hard parts 10 - 12 years ago.

The big PG improvements from 10 - 12 years ago are in the servo, this version is a Sonnax ratio servo. Nothing wrong with this transmission other than it galled the bushing style rings in the stator tube.

Any questions, fire away. This has pretty much everything there is for a high HP 2 sp Powerglide transmission.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
what first hand experience do you have building a powerglide transmission for an NHRA TS or TD car and who is the racer, first and last name as well the division he competes in that runs it?

As to this trans, it's a hodgepodge of pieces and not as it left Coan.

If I had any questions about this trans, I would ask Richard of Precision Transmission.

now we wait for your retort.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Super F does stink and bad.....and that's normal. Nothing wrong with it other than that offensive odor

The pan is off my trans and the smell permeates the garage for days.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Poor thing needs Allison 295 fluid.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Needs Allison's Transynd

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's a Coan Pro Modified Powerglide with a ratio servo and a FTI fast TB.

Pretty much standard issue. Call Richard and ask him, Edward.

That's the difference between you and I, I do my own engines, transmissions. You call Richard & whoever currently assembles your engines.

This post isn't about you anyway, a lot of racers haven't seen this technology.

You don't know what your looking at, how about this, call Richard for the lowdown and come back and educate us, that would be entertaining!! Smile

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
no surprise you haven't built a trans for anyone running NHRA TS or TD nor have you competed in TD or TS. All you got is a 6 second 1/8th mile shyt box nova with triple chrome plated bumpers that has been parked for 3 years since hitting a timing block and getting DQ!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Coan sells their own aluminum valve body so why would they build a trans using an FTI valve body.....Makes no sense to me....

http://www.coanracing.com/coa-...cer-std-pattern.html

I saw basically nothing wrong in that trans....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
exactly! You can be sure that trans is no longer owned by the racer that ordered it and numerous people have had their hands in it. That's why its burnt up after 21 passes.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wrong again Edward, I did engine and transmission in this.

As far as my Nova goes, I wouldn't drive anything else, because I don't need anything other than a factory condition Nova 10 x 28 tire Super Pro bracket racing.

The only reason I threw the Nova back together in 2017 was to show the guys I street raced with in the 1980's, how easily I could build an engine to run a 5's n/a sbc 3200 lbs 10 x 28 tire out of box 23 degree Brodix. They thought it would be impossible because nobody else in the world has.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this ^^^ ain't a TS or TD

Rumor has it that this trans was done by some guy with a storage unit in the Madeira Beach Florida area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1a1brUKXjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVj040FSCLA

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Coan sells their own aluminum valve body so why would they build a trans using an FTI valve body.....Makes no sense to me....

http://www.coanracing.com/coa-...cer-std-pattern.html

I saw basically nothing wrong in that trans....

Believe it or not people make changes to engines and transmissions assuming upgrades. I run a Coan slow brake Super Pro bracket racing it's a BMF. I personally wouldn't assume an upgrade BUT there's a lot of folks out there who are saying these FTI VB's are the fastest. Sometimes that's all it takes. It could be true too. I've got a JW fast VB be hard to beat, for when I run Pro Tree.

The Sonnax ratio servo is pretty much standard issue high HP modern day.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Here's my shyt box Nova Edward, triple chrome bumpers, Super Pro bracket racing factory condition Nova 10" tire. Shyt I threw together.

Explain why I'd wanna drive anything else?

Show me some evidence of a better tool?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
first show us the complete time slips.... track, date, year, time, yada, yada, yada NahNahTounge

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
Sorry not impressed Mikey. You want to truly impress me and many others on here then show up to one of the many big money bracket races and show us what you got. I can 100% guarantee that taking .04 and .05 stripes are not going to get you very far. If I was bragging about my bracket racing prowess, I damn sure would not post those slips.....

Posts: 632 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Great Saturday entertainment!!

1320wannabe and Cone crusher fighting over who has the bigger dyck

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
Sorry not impressed Mikey. You want to truly impress me and many others on here then show up to one of the many big money bracket races and show us what you got. I can 100% guarantee that taking .04 and .05 stripes are not going to get you very far. If I was bragging about my bracket racing prowess, I damn sure would not post those slips.....

Can you read a ticket? You might wanna look again. That little shyt box factory condition Nova on a 10" tire, gets em flipped out, I get it Wink

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
If Coan built that trans they did not install an FTI VB, period. End of story..

I can't tell you who MAY build the fastest releasing P/G Pro Tree trans brake valve body but can only go by my experiences as well as friends..

Hipster or ATD's iron valve bodies are faster than most

Their aluminum units as well as everyone else who now makes their own may be a bit faster

I've had as much as .030-.040 delay in my car in S/C at times but there is more to it than just the trans release.....

This past year's few races I went to I was seeing slower RT's.....in general...

My spare trans is a stock case with an ATD/Hipster iron VB and it is faster than the trans I have in my car now....and is the trans I carried the most delay with...

I looked at all the aluminum VB's and bought a Coan.....just ordered one today......Xmas present to myself...

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
first show us the complete time slips.... track, date, year, time, yada, yada, yada NahNahTounge

That's Bradenton back in 71, Bo Laws methanol carb with brass metering blocks / experimental.

Technology is better today. Smile

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Can you read a ticket? You might wanna look again. That little shyt box factory condition Nova on a 10" tire, gets em flipped out, I get it Wink

I stand corrected, you only have one ticket showing the .04 stripe. The other one was so faded from age I could barely read it. Yes I can read a time ticket if you show the whole thing..... But you never do

Posts: 632 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post