DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    one piece to bolt together converter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

one piece to bolt together converter
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at another thread and not wanting to derail it. WOndering if anyone take a one piece converter and makes it a bolt together at a price that makes miore since than selling one and buying the other?

Anybody do conversion?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Abruzzi converted mine but it was already his converter. I did it for 2 reasons installing the billet aluminum cover saved rotating weight and the ease of swapping the stator and servicing it myself without having to pay to ship it.

Its hindsight but I would of been money ahead if I would of bought a bolt together when I originally had the converter built, but I don't regret for 1 minute having it converted

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Steve:
Abruzzi converted mine but it was already his converter. I did it for 2 reasons installing the billet aluminum cover saved rotating weight and the ease of swapping the stator and servicing it myself without having to pay to ship it.

Its hindsight but I would of been money ahead if I would of bought a bolt together when I originally had the converter built, but I don't regret for 1 minute having it converted[/QUOTE

Yea amzing how much we can see out our hindends with eye mounted in head.LOL With what I have in this converter it would not have been much more for bolt together,not sure about the aluminum part cost wise. Would be nice shedding weight off flywheel.]

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just all depends on what you plan to do with it. Marco said 60% or more that buy a bolt together still send them to him for service because they are scared to take them apart. If you plan on making stator changes often then they are worth it. But stators are about $400ea so don't forget that. If your going to put it in and forget about it, save your money and get a welded converter.

Mine is a 10 inch and I think I saved about 8 or 9 lbs with the aluminum cover

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Scared to take apart that funny. Heck I was taking tricycles apart to see if I could make them faster.LOL

There is not much I want work on in race car. I know bracket guys don't do that , but I built car with plans to play in more than one sand box.

Thanks for replys and info.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Years ago a man named Daughraty from a Kansas city suburb converted my 9 inch to a bolt together. It worked great but I have to admit I never took it apart. I can try to locate him if you are interested.

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Joekool,

If you get some contact info let me know. I would like to talk with him at least. Appreciate it.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It would definitely be nice to have a 1 size fits most convertor. I feel like if you hang out say around 500-632 ci range you could get away with a 9" bolt together, and never need to buy another one again. Just keep changing stators to get the flash where you want it.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post