DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Accumulator in a Dragster?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accumulator in a Dragster?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hey guys, I am making the switch from a door car to a dragster next year. I have ran an accumulator in the trunk with an electric valve for years and it has always been a good setup for me.

My question is what are the dragster guys using and where are you mounting them? With a door car it is a bit easier to hide. Dragster everything is out in the open. I would prefer to hide it if possible. It's not like this is a heavy maintenance item.

Posts: 97 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
I put mine on the shield behind the driver on one car, on a plate above the trans in my current car. Dry sump now, much better...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mine is on the shield also but it's behind the shield so you can't really see it. Looks better that way I think. I can still see the gauge and can add air if I need to.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I mounted mine on the shield behind the driver, down low, cross ways, and I mounted the electric solenoid on the oil filter adapter at the engine, then connect the two with AN fittings and braided hose. Neat and out of the way.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You guys running the 1 qt or 3 qt? Moroso or Canton? My radiator and fan are on the blow shield but I may be able to mount it horizontal down low like topfuel suggested.

Posts: 97 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use the 3 quart Moroso unit, I've had several over the years, and never any issues. You may be able to put the unit on the inside of the shield if you have room, mine is on the back side.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had a tank style trans cooler mounted beside the motor between top and bottom frame rail. Not sure how the size of that cooler compares to an accumulator but beside the motor is a good place to hide stuff

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I have used both the Moroso 1qt and canton 3 qt. iAd them both mounts by the engine between the upper and lower rails just ahead of the oil filter. Use the electric solenoid and have no problems.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEMO963:
I have used both the Moroso 1qt and canton 3 qt. iAd them both mounts by the engine between the upper and lower rails just ahead of the oil filter. Use the electric solenoid and have no problems.

I had mine there at first. It was kind of a pain with the kicked out pan and trying to work at all in that area. Againl, not much you have to do there. But I was always having to be very careful or remove it when taking the engine out. Pan off was just a little harder. The diaper with it was a real pain. I ended up with in on the shield out in the open.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6379 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have a 3 qt Moroso and its on a mount made by Racetech.....clamps to frame rails above trans.

Its not pretty but I don't care...It does the job and is easy to move out of the way when needed.

Solinoid mounted right on it with a switch to interrupt power with ignition on.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. It gives me a few ideas.