DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    4.10 to 4.30 gear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4.10 to 4.30 gear
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
How much et gain going from a 4.10 gear to a 4.30. 4-link dragster 582 6500 flash converter

Posts: 17 | Location: Alpine AL | Registered: September 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
None

Posts: 16 | Location: Not at work | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
^^^^^This

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
None, I did it and saw no difference other than my bank account had a lower balance after the swap.
Converter was a little tighter on the logger graph but saw zero difference on the time slip

Posts: 2402 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We picked up about 0.04 in the 1/8th of a mile switching from a 4.10 to a 4.30 with a 4 link dragster and a 632

I would not expect any more than that

we also have what some may consider a slightly heavier dragster as well as bubbas, the 4.30 gear picked up the 60 foots, picking up the 1/8th of a mile ET, no difference in 1/4 mile ET

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I went from a 4.10 to a 4.30 and did not see much difference.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I doubt that it will make much difference in ET but it will change the finish line RPM.

At 7400, with a 4.10 Gear and a 34 tall tire the finish line MPH (at zero converter slippage) would be 182.64 . Using the same RPM, tire but with a 4.29 gear the MPH drops to 174.55. Using those same numbers the 4.10 would have dropped the finish line RPM by about 348 RPM, but not much in ET.

You can do these calculations yourself using the Wallace calculation chart.

The most significant change will be the weight of your wallet. Save your money, keep the same gear.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,

Posts: 3068 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
I saw no difference, mine was broken (that's a tire topic)so the wallet was getting lighter no matter. Looking back, i always wondered if going higher would have made a difference. 3.70's?

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i dont know what i am doing wrong,but every time i change gears one step i gain or loose (although not much).one step as posted above around 300 rpm and 2 to 4 hun

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
i dont know what i am doing wrong,but every time i change gears one step i gain or loose (although not much).one step as posted above around 300 rpm and 2 to 4 hun

I was really hoping for my car to pick up .05 with the gear change but it did not.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think it’s got a lot to do with your converter lf your converter is loose it don’t change. If it on the tight side you could see a gain in ET. It also put motor in different power range. Do you all agree.

Posts: 17 | Location: Alpine AL | Registered: September 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm currently reassembling my 4.10 center section after burning it up. Dirtdobber had a spare gear set so that's my current project. Haven't decided if I'll swap it back in the car or just leave the 4.30 in it for now. I'm pretty lazy so I'll probably just leave it alone.

I didn't notice any difference except the engine turns tighter on the other end. Visited with Monty Penneta at the Night of Fire in Denver and he told me the same thing about his car. Waste of money.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Changing it will tighten the converter I doubt it picks up very little .

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
It really depends on your converter if the gear helps, how does it act if you leave really hard, or really soft? If you leave hard and it runs and acts better, usually you could use some gear, if you have to leave soft, then I wouldn't change it.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blowerman:
I think it’s got a lot to do with your converter lf your converter is loose it don’t change. If it on the tight side you could see a gain in ET. It also put motor in different power range. Do you all agree.

I tend to agree here but 6500 is not tight assuming a normal bracket combo 582.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Off topic but isn't it nice to have a technical conversation without someone getting all mad and bent out shape from certain people? ok back to the topic - its a great discussion about torque multiplication. A friend ran a 3.90 gear to try this theory and ended up fighting a top of first gear rattle that we could only attribute to just that - the multiplication factor. Interesting subject

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
LOL.....for those that have a lot of power, I've gone the other way. Went from a 4.30 to a 3.89 and now running a 3.70. Went from Outlaw racing to bracket racing and no reason to run the higher RPM's anymore.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1army
posted Hide Post
I broke my 4:30 gear at the IHRA race two weeks ago a friend loan me his 4:10 set up went from 4.63 to 4:65ish lost no mph. This in my dragster not the door car pictured.

Posts: 39 | Location: Belton,Texas | Registered: October 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post