Find
Notify
Tools

Gear oil
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What is the best gear oil for rearend?

Posts: 9 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: November 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
75w90 synthetic in mine

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Redline shock proof in mine

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I use Amsoil

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Eaton FE 75W-90 synthetic

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Depends on the application, but for my middle low 9 second sbc street car I use this because it can be had at a store less than one mile from the house. However any 80w/90 with GL - 5 additive is fine for an application of this type. I use Moser performance gears or US Gears.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Are you using 75w90?

Posts: 9 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: November 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Whatever you use, don't forget to throw in a couple of banana peels to let the gears slide against each other easier...….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodneylp1968:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Are you using 75w90?

Yes

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
I was told not to use synthetic by Strange.....? Was advised to use Lucas 75-140 non with a pro gears. HMMMM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Frizie,

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Nothing but valvoline syn gear oil in mine for many many years. Gearlife is good.Depends on setup more than oil always raise car and warm driveline with engine!

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 407 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Redline, same as Steve.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I never used to care much for the brand before when I raced. I got back into racing recently and seen on class racer forum the guys run Lucas synthetic saying it doesn't mess up your ET, if you only get one time run like conventional rear end oil does. So we'll see if it works if we only get one time shot ,It always was slower ,that kind of makes sense

Posts: 373 | Location: Shelbyville Indiana | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I never warm up my gears other than a lap or two around the pits and my et doesn’t move after first run. I run valvoline but would have to check to see the weight.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
YUP ANYWAY YOUR STUFF LIVES LONGER WHEN WARMEDUP. So Ive been told. Driving around pits might put more load on so more heat. Sorry op could not resist Big Grin

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 407 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Whatever brand 75W-90 I have in my 5 gal gear oil pump. I have added some Lucas additive to make it cling like the display at the parts stores.
I have a drain plug so I even change it once in a while.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was told by Moser to use Lucas 80w90. But I know there's other good brands out there.

DRR Pro
Picture of David Friedenberg
posted Hide Post
FWIW, recently replaced the complete 3rd member with a Mark Williams "Pro-Stock" unit. It came with 3 qts of Torco 85W140. GL-6 rating

https://markwilliams.com/57009.html

Don't make it harder than it is!

Posts: 850 | Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It came with 3 qts of Torco 85W140. GL-6 rating

I know it's in vogue to run lighter lubricants these days. And I certainly wouldn't argue the points of more consistence times and lower times. But there is a reason heavy trucks run Xw-140. And drag equipment takes one he11 of a beating off the line. I doubt they can get away with lighter rear end lube in heavy trucks for the sake of meeting EPA mileage mandates. Which is a lot that drives such nonsense as 0w-16 motor oils. For rear gear longevity and dependability give me a heavier gear oil. JMO, your's may vary.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Friedenberg:
FWIW, recently replaced the complete 3rd member with a Mark Williams "Pro-Stock" unit. It came with 3 qts of Torco 85W140. GL-6 rating

https://markwilliams.com/57009.html

I got one of those from MW a couple years back, still have the Torco 85/140 on the shelf. I put Redline 70/90 shockproof heavy in