DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How much Vacuum ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much Vacuum ?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Just purchased a used 565 BBC, has a Aerospace Vacuum pump on it and I was just curious as to what the readings should be at idle and downtrack.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
My MOROSO 4-Stage Enhanced Vacuum pump on my SDPC 582 Head Hunter engine on alcohol is around 6" at idle and around 15" down track.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Moroso (4) Enhanced. 12" at idle... 15" at 7400.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea this ones is like 1.5 at idle and up to around 3 to 6 downtrack

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
The number at idle tells you how well your engine is sealed up. The down track numbers tell you how well your engine is sealed + how good your vacuum pump is working. Drive ratio, fuel, pump type and size, and air leaks all come into play.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ill play along. Have 11 at idle and 18 downtrack

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yea I dont think the previous owner ever adjusted it and just left it how it came from aerospace.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Moroso three vane enhanced driven at 50% with radius tooth pulleys and alcohol carb. Pulls 5" at idle and the vacuum break is set to pull 12" down track. The break isn't close to being maxed out so I assume I could pull more if I wanted.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
Yea I dont think the previous owner ever adjusted it and just left it how it came from aerospace.

yeah, i don't think that is it. If the max vacuum was set at 6 then it would have 6 at idle and 6 down track. I have a big electric vacuum pump that i use to check engine seal and i will bet that if i hooked yours up, it would be whistling like a sailor on payday getting ready to visit a hooker.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Motor is consistent, repeats back to back.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I didn't say it wasn't consistent. I said it would leak a vacuum. this happens if they put a "stock" single lip seal that lets air in when under vacuum. It could be the crankshaft rear or front seal. but with that low of a vacuum you either have some sort of pump issue or a leak.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My Star setup is 5 at idle ad 12 downtrack. We didnt use any special crank seals or flip them.

Posts: 1565 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had one aerospace pump and it never pulled that much vacuum. At times 0 at idle and 2-3" downtrack. I switched to the moroso pump and it worked a lot better. I get 5-6" at idle and around 11-12" downtrack.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Be real careful about going over 15" down track. You can start pulling oil away from the rod bearings. Remember that the oil pump and vacuum pump are fighting each other. I have a 555 and normally see 6" at idle and 14" down track. I could turn it up but I don't. I use a Star.

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Star vacuum pump here....I just make sure my engine is sealed and cranked the regulator all the way down!!! No issues at all with oiling, solid oil pressure on and off the throttle! Bearings looked really good last freshen!

I honestly don't know how much I'm pulling....still trying to get the graph to come up on the grid but I think I figured it out with markemark's help!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
8 idle
10 run regulated
4 vane enhance moroso driven a little faster
With 15 psi boost

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
People that I respect in the industry warned me about exceeding 13-14 pounds of vacuum. There is very little if any power gain in going higher but there is a real chance of drying the wrist pins and/or depleting oil from other important components, bushed lifters, bearings, etc. I'm more than willing to concede that small power gain in exchange for greater reliability.

I've watched a few Pro Stock Teams cut/remove the dry sump belt prior to the last round trying to gain a little more power.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bob,

A vacuum of 13-14 PSI is around 27" of mercury, practically a soft vacuum as the ambient air pressure is only 14.7 PSI or 29.92" of mercury.

Also cutting the belt to the dry sump cuts all scavenging and pressurization of the oil system as they all share a common shaft.

Not sure what you might have saw but I don't think someone is going to find much power by cutting a dry sump belt.

Ryan

Posts: 36 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
My aerospace pulls around 3 at idle and 8 down track. it keeps my oils clean and thats the only reason I have it.

Posts: 831 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I believe that David Reher mentioned being careful about exceeding 14-15 in one of his shop tech articles, I was not willing to test his theory based on my budget and particularly in the throttle stop class car (S/G and S/C). I don't doubt your opinion Ryan, in fact quite the opposite.

As for the dry sump belt, it was what I witnessed, don't know why just that they did cut the belt.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post