DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    4.10 to 3.90 gear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4.10 to 3.90 gear
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering if anyone has done a 4.10 to a 3.90 gear swap and results. Not really sure I would need it but have great deal on one and thinking not bad to have on hand,especially if find out FED needs little less off line to run consistent number.Already have 1.69 low

Did you loose anything.
did it soften starting line hit much

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Chris , what size tires are you running on that bad boy???

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
15x14x32 MT's. 3074S. Quite a few FED's running mid 6's on less tire.

Not sure how bad it is yet,working out few bugs and buying few new parts.Trying to find a trailer to beg, borrow,but not steal. HAve flat bed but car would have to ride with nose over tongue jack on ramps and only good for very short trips. Fortunately I have 5 tracks under 90 miles from house and one at 18 miles.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Deal or not I would put the money toward getting the car too/on the track and see what it does or wants.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I agree with Big Steve, get it out to the track and make some hits that will tell you a lot about what direction it needs to go.

Your combination is different than most all others out there so nobody is going to be able to say exactly what you need because theirs is not the same. I went from a 4.10 to a 4.30 and saw no difference but that was on my car.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3982 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea but 100 bucks is not much of ding in dent on 10k to build trailer,not paint chip on cost of buying one.LOL Plus if cars going to track in next month in and half or so it will be a cold front coming thru because Chris don't play when temp is 90 plus,hell wouldn't even go sit at pool and drink beer at these temps.Other than new starter and flexplate which are on the way car is ready for testing and tweaking. Figure mid August for first test runs.

Wasn't asking what I need for my combo. I know better than anyone that my deal is different than most here. Hell most of parts on it are different if not one off. Just wondering what other have experienced in similar change. 4.10 to 4.30 is same amount. Don't figure any real difference maybe .01 to .02 or so in 60' at most. Just asking if anyone has seen car react different to hit with such small change. Going .5 up or down I would expect to see change. With lots here having data recorder,which is where I figure change would show . I figure all input is worth getting,even if needs filtering.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Funny thought. Statement about combo is different. Wives are different,but tell any their butt is getting big and you will get similar result.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
can you spell turd,1.69 first with 3.89 and less than 2000 hp !!!!!!

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
not to sure about turd part. I know 2 guys running similar deals. One with little more gear one with little less. One has about 200 hp more running running 3.70 gear, and 4.20 to 4.30 1/8ths he is 150 lbs heavier .Other guy is 150 less HP running 4.30 gear,1.76 low, running 4.60's and hes is about 50 lbs less. Now not earth rotating numbers,but not turds either. Car and driver only 1650# ,dont figure need as much gearing as 2000 lb 4 link RED.Which is why I am not asking what others are running but asking what changes they may have seen with similar change.So as to have a basic idea of what to expect and evaluate how its effecting my combo vs others.

Not trying to run low ET with this car,been there done that and spent butt load doing it. This car is for some fun and bracket racing.Don't care if it leaves soft if it will hook on ice I am good with it. If it needs more I have 4.30,4.56 and a old set of 4.86 gears laying here to test with.Figure 100 bucks for another option is cheap. Gear swap cost nothing If I don't screw up pinion bearing while doing so. Hell making 3 or 4 test runs at Piedmont will cost that and its 36 mile round trip.LOL

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I've went from 4.10 with 1.80 low to 4.10, 1.69 low, 3.89, 1.69 low. All trying to keep the front end in the beams to stop red lighting.
Car has been .994 with 4.10 and 1.69 little bubbas (109 rollout), now running 3.89, 1.69 and big bubbas (111 rollout) at Extreme Raceway during IHRA race went my best .989, 4.32.

Of course this is just a little 500 inch mopar...lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Oh, And it was VERY hot that day..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
dave was that the blown deal,if so that was my point .a normal bracket car will be hurt more by all that gear.that being said if you dont mind some loss in et for the cost go for it.i can not see any car under a 1000 not slowing some

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I can not see spending ANY MONEY on anything other than finishing it up and getting it out to the track or getting a trailer. I mean you are so close finish it and run it then see what it needs.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3982 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
dave was that the blown deal,if so that was my point .a normal bracket car will be hurt more by all that gear.that being said if you dont mind some loss in et for the cost go for it.i can not see any car under a 1000 not slowing some

Rusty, Yes, my blower motor.. Agree it would kill a low powered car.

What is odd is the first time I changed to the higher gear with the little bubbas the car seemed to slow down more so I switched back to the 4.10.
Then this season when I put the big bubbas on I started red lighting pretty bad and more often, every round loss was a red light. So I changed back to the 3.89 and my 60's were back to.99x - 1.00.
I'm still pulling 10* at the hit for 1.7 seconds.

Last race about 80' out, I blew the 1.69 gear set like I put them in a blender. Couldn't tell if the high chip caught it when engine rev'd. Replaced them with FTI cyro/polished 1.69 set. Then went to run the valves and found a link bar up by the rockers allowing one set of lifters to turn sideways.
New cam being ground as we speak.. Very expensive weekend.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I can not see spending ANY MONEY on anything other than finishing it up and getting it out to the track or getting a trailer. I mean you are so close finish it and run it then see what it needs.

Not worthy

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the liitle tire on a motor like yours is a good go fast tire,but it leaves spinning hard.the big tire gets enough tractio to stick the tire.the higher planetary and the higher diff are good torque killers.i put the 4.10 in mine for next weekend,but lol i will be in denver.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
the liitle tire on a motor like yours is a good go fast tire,but it leaves spinning hard.the big tire gets enough tractio to stick the tire.the higher planetary and the higher diff are good torque killers.i put the 4.10 in mine for next weekend,but lol i will be in denver.

Agree, it helped with the red lights.. You need a blower... Easier to swap a pulley than a differential. Ask JR.. Big Grin

Good luck in Denver.

Dave

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
oh i have one now but i swapped pulleys and gears lol,denver is rough

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
oh i have one now but i swapped pulleys and gears lol,denver is rough

Didn't know you went blower..

Dave

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
quote:
can you spell turd,1.69 first with 3.89 and less than 2000 hp !!!!!!

I run a 1.69 and lil bubbas, but I do have a 4.30 gear. My goal was to make it a turd in the 60’ and with the right converter thats exactly what I have...but it’s deadly consistent.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post