DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Clearancing valve springs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clearancing valve springs
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok not a problem BBC guys have,but with Hemi valve springs almost ride against VC's.Well unless you have 1.625 OD springs then they rub.
Ideal thing is new springs,But I have 6 or 7 sets of almost new 320 plus seat springs and at a cost of zero.

Next solution is to clearance springs by polishing about .030 to .050 off outer diameter on top coil only. Can't find reason it should hurt anything,but figured someone here might give me good reason to reconsider it. Other than having to do 32 to 112 springs .

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I always break the edge and polish the top and bottom coil to prevent spring breakage, but I'd dimple the valve covers before I took .030-.050 off the OD of the springs..
Or maybe slot the mounting holes so so you can shift the cover itself for clearance. Guess you couldn't move it a lot because of the spark plug tubes. But maybe a little dimpling AND a little moving together would give you enough room?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
First I forgot to mention these are magnesium VC's new cost is 1100 bucks 20 years ago,so not dimpling.300 for springs before messing up VC's.

Good news is I think I found issue. Once I put brain in gear and started wondering why never had major issue before. Light bulb went off. Retainers. The ones I used have thinner top than some others.More investigation showed the thicker ones I have actually have .050 less height.This pulled spring down and away from valve covers. I added 2 pieces duct tape where springs where hitting and wha la, no marks.
I guess you can have too many parts.LOL about 8 sets of titanium retainers and 5 sets that would work with these springs and only two sets that work with springs w/o cutting holes in side. I just picked the one that wouldn't work.
No Harm no foul.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How thick are the valve covers? Unless they are paper thin I think some grinding on inside over cover would solve the issue. Shouldn't be any pressure to contain, only splashing oil.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Already pocketed at spring and not much left. Plus retainers will fix it.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Just remember,.050" less installed height is going to send spring pressures way up.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Good thing about having on the head gauge.I can check them installed and remove or add shim as needed.Some of this old alky junk does come in handy.
With these being one run springs they are already down a little. .850 lift at 10,500 shifts will do that. I use to just change intakes ery run,because I knew they dropped a bunch . I could just throw the titanium springs on which lasted a lot longer back then(10 runs), but at $2000 a set I hate to put them on bracket engine. They are doing so much good hanging on wall.LOL

DRR Sportsman
Picture of blasttime
posted Hide Post
KFC & Dilly bar lunch Big Grin

Posts: 16 | Location: canada | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
will thicker or double gaskets help

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
No problem is top of spring hitting into side of VC. Remember Hemi valve are at steeper angle outward . I think new valve would help good amount. Higher in chamber,pulling retainer downward at same time. That would mean either finding SS or buy new titanium ones and thats about 1600 bucks,working on finding some less used ones.
The retainer change helped but not totally clear. I don't think polishing .025 (.050 diameter) off top coil is going to be big issue. Just enough drag now to be problem. With new retainers seat pressures are 320 to 350 after pulling a .015 to .030 shim,so should be good there.Plus should have .900 travel and only .820 cam minus lash.

I know if had built BBC would not have these problems,Then if had to BBC's sitting in corner I would have problem .

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Chris if you still have enough spring shims to remove you could use .050" less installed height keepers to really move the retainer down out of the way....

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by imakehp:
Chris if you still have enough spring shims to remove you could use .050" less installed height keepers to really move the retainer down out of the way....[/QUOT

I was thinking about swapping out the new ones for some older ones. The ones I have are the lash keepers(lashcap and keepers in one).
Have seen few pieces of trash in heads from shop being used for too many things.So figure to yank engine and totally clean and reassemble next week.So going to check few thing to why its problem.Have always had clearance issues with big springs,just lot more now and not 100% sure why. I am one of those have to know why its happened folks.

Hey will probably be tearing another engine down cpl times this weekend so whats one more.

Do they make specail keepers to move retainer down .050,never seen any.If so who sales them?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-'Valve%20Spring%20Accessories'-0.aspx

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Just ordered 2 sets.Hell 60 bucks and at worst I have two more sets of locks. Hate that they don;t have same deal with lastcap/lock like I have.
May have to swap a cpl valves with screwed up top of stem where lash cap rides. Have a few extras but not many. Sill beats hell out of custom fitting every spring.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Chris, you mentioned titanium valves. Make sure what keeper grooves are cut in the valves. There's a conventional groove which is square cut and a beadloc groove that is cut round.
Also, does your Hemi still have 5/16" valve stems? If so, I don't think CompCams makes .050" less keepers for the small valve stem. I used to have to get them from Manley.
But, no matter what, make sure to match the keeper grooves between the valves and keepers...
Good luck with your project....

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not 5/16 Mine are 3/8 mostly fuel and top alcohol stuff I think only mopar thing in mine is design of combustion chamber.LOL Oh yea spark plugs thru vc's.