Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    A/C Compressor Clutch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A/C Compressor Clutch
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
The A/C in my 2003 Chevy Silverado DuraMax suddenly quit today. Taking a look under the hood I can see some plastic material is melted away on the front of the compressor clutch. I don't know a thing about A/C. Turn it on and it's cold or it's broke.

In my mind the clutch itself went bad or the compressor locked up and failed the clutch.

Any clue? How hard is it to just replace the clutch, if that's all that's wrong?

Anyway, repairs will have to wait until after the hurricane I'm guessing.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Need Carb Parts or Service? PM jmark right here.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2288 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bruce, PM me your VIN number when you have a chance and I'll check on a new one from GM.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 13489 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
With the engine off you should be able to turn the clutch, if you can't the compressor is locked up. If you can see the rubber hanging out of the clutch, it's more than likely locked up.

I can also got you a pretty good deal on a new compressor kit, including the accumulator and orfice both of which must be replaced when a compressor is replaced.

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540
The Blower Shop XR1
3.73@195
Less Boost Than You Think

www.ftiperformance.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Do they even offer the clutch by itself anymore? It would be about right to replace the clutch and have the compressor go later that year.
My 2000 had a compressor start leaking a couple years ago. Probably a good investment to replace both together with accumulator and orifice.

Does your party represent personal responsibility?
Bill of non rights: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/law/non-rights.htm

Posts: 3825 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
A little help. When the AC clutch decides to take a vacation. Like burns up and melts in the center area it has an adverse issue on the compressor shaft seal. The seal is small, ceramic, with an o-ring. Money ahead with a new or reman unit. I've only replaced a couple thousand.

Posts: 316 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The garage that handles my non-racing repairs can't do it until after the hurricane.

With my son no longer working the GM dealerships I can get the info I require anymore.

I'll get that VIN posted up. I'd like to have my guy use Genuine GM parts if possible. A kit like Brian mentioned would be the hot ticket as the truck is 15 years old with 137K on the clock.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2288 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I recently put a new genuine GM compressor on a Chevy truck, it said made in Mexico on the box. The compressor kits I usually use are not genuine GM, but I have had great success with them. The cost difference is substantial. If you want, PM me the vehicle info and I'll check the cost both ways. Can't do it till Tuesday due to some b i t c h named Irma though.

I'll be at BMP next weekend, pending what happens with the hurricane.

272" Spitzer
The Blower Shop XR1
3.73@195

www.ftiperformance.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian I'll do that.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'll PM you my #

272" Spitzer
The Blower Shop XR1
3.73@195

www.ftiperformance.com

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Brian, Thanks for getting my nose pointed in the right direction. My truck tech trades with Radiator Depot.

Luckily, the compressor wasn't fragged. I directed him to install the "E" kit anyway and I can pick it up in the morning,

Edit: Got the truck and everything's is great. The other posters that added information and tips. Thank You, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nomad,

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help.

272" Spitzer
The Blower Shop XR1
3.73@195

www.ftiperformance.com