Find
Notify
Tools

oil pump issue
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
I had the ears break off my oil pump, try to discern if this was 1200 passes on it since 2014, or something else. Back story, When I first had the motor build, 10+ years ago,2000+ passes, I had the same type issue. We did some additional clearing in the block, and pump driveshaft

Pump turns freely,

Any input or chalk it up to stuff breaks.

Below are some pictures, but it like trying to to figure what comes first, the chick or the egg.

Collar is split, but did the ears on the pump break because of that, or did the pump break because of the collar. Collar looks to have been rubbing.

My accumulator did its job. I did my burnout and look down and saw oil light on with 20 psi of oil pressure.
My last oil analysis showed an increase in wear metals, I had checked all the things I could check and didn't see any issues, figured it was time for a rebuild. Those test are worth it, as a couple of times now, I saw increases in wear metals, and I found things going south.

Any way, I am going to put another pump on it and run it till the end of year, and drop the pan to inspect.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
I had the ears break off my oil pump, try to discern if this was 1200 passes on it since 2014, or something else. Back story, When I first had the motor build, 10+ years ago,2000+ passes, I had the same type issue. We did some additional clearing in the block, and pump driveshaft

Pump turns freely,

Any input or chalk it up to stuff breaks.

Below are some pictures, but it like trying to to figure what comes first, the chick or the egg.

Collar is split, but did the ears on the pump break because of that, or did the pump break because of the collar. Collar looks to have been rubbing.

My accumulator did its job. I did my burnout and look down and saw oil light on with 20 psi of oil pressure.
My last oil analysis showed an increase in wear metals, I had checked all the things I could check and didn't see any issues, figured it was time for a rebuild. Those test are worth it, as a couple of times now, I saw increases in wear metals, and I found things going south.

Any way, I am going to put another pump on it and run it till the end of year, and drop the pan to inspect.

Excessive amounts of time on a rev limiter. I have seen guys break those and the only thing that was consistent was they would release the line lock/3 step to get the car moving, then go back on the button.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Only time mine sees the rev limitor is leaving off the transbrake, I do not use a rev limitor for the burnout.

Also will try out one of the shark tooth pumps, supposedly they are smoother.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If not seeing a lot of time on rev limiter I’d say it looks like the pump cavitation. If you stay with an iron pump go to a pump with a 3/4” inlet. Depending on the volume of oil your engine moves, the 5/8 inlet can be a restriction to the pump and cause cavitation. Similar to try to use a 400 you fuel pump with a #6 or #8 line between tank an pump. Best replacement is a melling billet shark tooth pump.

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My first thought would be, it's a typical drive problem for a drive with a lot of service time on it, driving a high volume pump, heavy weight oil.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Wooley, my pump does have the small 5/8 inlet on it. I ordered would of those melling billet pumps, so hopefully if this is an issue, that pump will remedy it.

Mike,

Its a standard volume pump, show 40 psi at idle when hot with 10w-30 oil. I have the same view on High volume as you.

Off on a tangent Same thing as everyone things they need to run a race oil filter on their engine. I would venture to say the vast majority of cars out there don't need the 28 gpm flow rate, and the standard 9-11 gpm will be more then plenty. The wix race filter only filters down to 60 microns, which is .0023, were the standard filter goes down to 20 which is .0007. I always thing about bearing clearances when I think about 60 microns.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Should be a maintenance item. "Harmonics" will fracture the collar.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
That oil pump driveshaft is an ARP. It doesn't use a pin to retain the sleeve, it has like a press fit with a groove and tongue. I just noticed that is looks like that groove wore away on the sleeve for some reason which allow that sleeve to move up and down.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
That oil pump driveshaft is an ARP. It doesn't use a pin to retain the sleeve, it has like a press fit with a groove and tongue. I just noticed that is looks like that groove wore away on the sleeve for some reason which allow that sleeve to move up and down.

I use the ARP pump driveshaft also. I had the fork end of a Melling driveshaft brake in just over 500 runs on my now spare engine.

Posts: 2429 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post