DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    electric impact gun debate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

electric impact gun debate
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
ive been using the snap on ct8850 18volt impact gun for several years and have had a lot of problems with the motors loosing power/strength after a period of time.
snap on will send em out for rebuild for 120.00 but after 5 or 6 months they seem to just run out of power again.
is anybody using any other brand electric impacts with any success?? im talking about daily use in an auto shop not once a month to rotate your tires.
snap on is now trying to push a Milwaukee fuel 2767-20 on me.
snap on says the reason im having the problem is excessive use and nobody else is having a problem with these impacts except me lol

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Excessive use.
how dare you use your tools!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The guys i know use the Milwaukee's in the shops.
Buy 2 for the price of 1 snapper. I believe it's 5 year warranty on the M and less on the S.
Here is a quick review. I always prefer brush less on anything.What a lame excuse. Excessive use.And your the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVH0PbLAEls

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
I have pretty much gave up on all my Snap-on electric impacts. Nothing but battery problems and like you said loss of power. For the last 3 years i have been using Milwaukee and so far i have had no issues. I have the big 1/2 18 volt impact but most of the time i use the 3/8 impact.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dbraskett
posted Hide Post
I use an 18v Milwaukee fuel everyday working on big trucks. 1/2” drive, and 3/4” drive, can do an entire clutch job on a big rig, or a rear diff in one with no problems. Those things are powerful, and we’re not easy on them at all. I’m thoroughly impressed.

Posts: 14 | Location: central ohio | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee is hands down the best electric impact on the market

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Yea if you can get the Milwaukee do it.. They have a new M12 stubby 3/8" drive that can take off your typical lug nuts on a passenger car no problem. I'd look into their M18 stuff if you need even more power.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The Milwaukee M-18 stuff is badass, I have both Dewalt and Milwaukee and the Milwaukee walks all over the Dewalt. Battery life is better, balance is better and the power is a lot better.
I have a 3/8" impact that is rated at 650 ft. lbs of loosening torque and I normally use it at half power.
I also have a M-18 grinder, drill, sawzall and a quarter inch impact and have been happy with all of them. JMO

Posts: 110 | Location: SO. IL. | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Milwaukee M-18 stuff is badass

That's the truth. My buddy just put 4 tires on my truck and I snapped an SK socket wrench trying to get them off.

Posts: 722 | Location: Somers, ny | Registered: October 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I bought the Milwaukee 3/8 M12 fuel with the small battery because it was small and I could take all the bolts out of the trans on my dragster except for converter bolts. It’s 4 years old and I can still put my wheels on the car and the torque Wrench will click at 100lbs before it moves. I’ve been impressed with how well it’s held up

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Snap-On tried to sue Milwaukee over their electric impacts, saying patent infringement, until Milwaukee proved it was the other way around....Snappy lost their ass on that one...

Same thing happened with Harbor Freight and their Daytona jacks. Snap on sued for copying until Harbor Freight kicked them in the gut...turned out snappy got their jacks from the same place Harbor Freight did.....Snappy lost yet again.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the m stubby 3/8 and it works great. Not used daily but when I need it no complaints.

Bought the 90 ratchet also and it works great on smaller items on motor. Don't use it for assembling just removal of items.

Posts: 1433 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Whiteboy3718
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Milwaukee in March and have been very impressed with it. I did a little research and thought maybe it would be overkill for what I needed, but its a bad unit. I priced everywhere and then found one on Ebay from a seller who has brand new with same warranties. Only thing missing was the hard case; which was no issue. I gave $385

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILWA...p2057872.m2749.l2649

Posts: 289 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
Mike I just bought the Milwaukee on Monday,haven't touched an air hose since. It is a little heavy but has plenty of power. Like Whiteboy said I thought it would have too much power but it seems to work good. Cornwell wanted $340 for just the gun I told him Home Depot was $100 cheaper,he took off $40 bucks and you get a 5 year warranty instead of 2 year factory warranty.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post